Denied Optima Platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nice Guy, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Nice Guy

Nice Guy Guest

I was just denied for an Optima Platinum card by Amex. Called the Amex rep (2 different reps actually) and was told that my balance to limit ratio was too high (71%)and there was nothing that they could do.

I have amex green and gold both and have had them for 5+ years, never missed a payment.

Is there anyhting I can do? Was told score was 585 and need 630 for Optima Platinum.

Thanks!

2. Jo

Jo Guest

Well, they *COULD* override it, but with balances that high, I wouldn't count on anyone there overriding that...

3. David

David Well-Known Member

I was told that my TransUnion credit score was 699 on 8/23. That night, I applied for AMEX Blue. The system was down, so I couldn't have an instant response. However, I called them the next day, and I was denied. My reasons were: balances on revolving cards too high, too many recent credit checks, and too many newly opened accounts. I don't understand. Surely you don't need a score higher than 699 to qualify. All of their reasons for denial are integrated in the credit score.

4. Jo

Jo Guest

AmEx is selective with who it allows to carry cards. They can also be unrealistic...but, when you're in, you're IN!
    BTW, a message such as "system is down" or "cannot provide response" almost always is a declination.

5. me

me Well-Known Member

When I applied for Blue back in March/April, it said the system was down too, but I found out later I was approved.

(I can't remember how long it took before I found out)