Department store cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an opinion whether a credit applicant has a better chance to get a Nordstrom or other department store card by applying in the store rather than on-line?

Since I have a 2 year old BK in my record, I believe the on-line application will automatically reject me. I paricularly interested in Nordstrom.

Thanks.

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

I think any instant approval, in store or internet, relys solely in your credit score and the criteria the creditor uses for approval and limits.

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I agree. I am wondering if I can talk my way into reversing a denial "in the store". I sure can't do it on the internet.

Thanks.

By the way, I noticed that no one ever did explain or defend that "90 days between disputes" thread.

4. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

You had great success with Capital One, If your Bankruptcy is on all 3 reports, I would say future approvals will be rare.

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I agree. I have come to the conclusion that after a BK, the most difficult loans to obtain are the upscale department store credit cards and surprisingly the gas cards.

Auto loans, visa cards are pretty easy. In 2 years, I will find out about a mortgage loan.
    I spoke to a mortgage lender who told me she has a loan for everyone. According to her, 2 years after a BK the income and down payment factors are more important than credit history because the loan is secured. Interesting isn't it.

6. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed that. I just keep doing what I have been doing. Once I get an update and its still there, I dispute again. In no way do I ever get an answer or deletion/correction in the 30 day period. TU sends out letters confirming your request after about 2 weeks. This, I assume is thier way of covering thier butts for the 30 day rule. I've even had Equifax not even acknowledge 2 requests for my report. It took 3 letters for them to even respond. Someone here stated in on the the threads that if you don't get an answer in 30 days, they have to delete it. Not!!! The big 3 doesn't answer to anyone and do whatever they want. They know what the rules are.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

When the CRA's

send you a letter acknowledging your disputes they are literally resetting the 30 day clock a little in their favor. I noticed that they always claim to have received the dispute about a week after I believe they really did.

8. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: When the CRA's

Mine are about 2 weeks after I send them. That gives them 45 days.

9. Moore

Moore Guest

Jim,

I have not had a BK but have had success with obtaining an upscale department store (Macy's) credit card. When you apply in the store, they ask for a major credit card. They use the card as a credit reference by entering the number. I believe the computer calls the major credit card's computer to make sure this is a valid credit card in good standing. Hope this helps

10. John Shimm

John Shimm Guest

No, it doesn't 'call the major credit card's computer' to verify anything.

In-store instant credit approvals utilize your credit history from one of the CRA's - they make an inquiry as you stand there.

They ask for the major credit card because their system matches it up with that account info on your credit history as additional proof of identity. Anybody can get a driver's license with your name, and with your SS#, would be able to apply for instant credit without a problem UNLESS they needed your credit card as well.

Extra security step, that's all.

11. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

I file a BK 6 months ago and Sears gave me a $5000 limit card no problem.

12. kim

kim Well-Known Member

Which mortgage lender are you dealing with? I filed BK in 1998 and have obtained the following:

Capitol One
    FCNB
    Orchard
    Spiegel

13. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I will buy a house in 2 years. I am not actually "working" with a broker yet. I need another 2 years of credit repair / rebuilding and just plain time before I am actually getting preapproved for a loan.

14. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks.

By the way, I updated your millenium file a couple of days ago. great site.