Dept of Motor Vehicles... Kris

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Jan 8, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

The DMV just put a public record on my transunion report 12/00. I havenot called yet to find out exactly what this is about. But I will start taking care of this today. I went to court this past summer and settled my old parking violations. I got 2 new tickets 3 months ago and got a letter in the mail saturday just as I was mailing off my payment. But anyway my question is how long does a public record stay on. It is 7 years from the date reported or the date filed. Or is it 7 years from when I got the ticket and did not pay them or appear in court. I know absolutely nothing about this. Does a DMV public record hurt me getting a mortgage?

roni

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I called and found out what th

When I went to court and paid my fines, there was a NJ state DMV surchage in addition to my fines (which no one told me about). The DMV had an older NY address somehow and didnt send notices that I owed them anything else to my last NY. So, I didnot know about the charges. So they issued a tax lien. Well that is the story. What a way to bring in the millenium! I give up on this credit nonsense.

roni

3. Nancy Klin

Nancy Klin Guest

RE: I called and found out wha

Try suing them. How much is it for?

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Sorry Roni

Damn I am so sorry about that, just when you think you are getting somewhere. I really know nothing on the subject but I hope someone can help you. Just wanted you to know I am thinking about you.

mom

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Sueing them for what. Who am i sueing? The DMV? Come on. $600 in surcharges to my tickets of several thousands accumulated over 6 years. I come forward and pay the tickets and i get a bad credit rating? go figure. I dont know how i will get a decent home mortgage now.

roni

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Dont worry momof3

I am taking a 'chill pill' on this credit repair stuff. First my student loan messup, junum.com lieing to me and now this. I am gonna take a step back and just pray to my heavenly father that I get the mortgage that i want. Luckily it is only on transunion for now. I plan to pay it immediately and maybe dispute it next year. Thanks for your concerns though.

roni

7. Nancy Klin

Nancy Klin Guest

Sorry : (

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Don't Trip.....

Hey Roni....

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and I'll pray to the credit gods for ya! :-D

That's totally BUNK that they have done this and after all that you have gone through, I'm sure this is the knife in the back so to speak! Hey...don't worry about it. Just pay the money and then dispute it. You have to pay it regardless (because of the mortgage). I'm sure once it's paid, they won't even take to time to verify it. I can't believe that they've done this over some parking b.s. That's ludicrous! But then again I come from a state (CA) where they will FUNK you off over just about everything! The best was when my ex had this little scoot around car that was in both of our names and he didn't pay the registration (due to no insurance) and the expiration lapsed. I had submitted a release of liability so I was cool but when I went down to register my car, DMV tried to jam me up due to this! I got it all fixed by showing them the release. Then he had got parking tickets on the vehicle and they tried to collect from me! I was HOT. I mailed back the release and was o.k. but still. So DMV can be some real m'fckers when they want to.

9. kim

kim Well-Known Member

RE: Dont worry momof3

Roni,

You'll still get your mortgage. If DMV is anything like tax liens it's not really a big deal. I had two tax liens on my report. My broker just told me to pay them off. I'm still getting my mortgage this month and at a pretty decent interest rate too.

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Now, that is positive.

They said it is a tax lien. If the judge or somebody had told me I also had to pay surcharges it wouldnot have been a big deal. I went to the DMV after court, stayed 2.5 hours and showed my receipts to clear my record and no one tole me about the surcharges, or update my address. Oh well, live and learn. It is good to know that it is ok to get a mortgage with one. Kim how old was the tax lein?

11. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

RE: Now, that is positive.

Roni,

I had a similar situation with parking tickets (well actually the situation was a bit more similar to MP$40s; the tickets belonged to my ex-husband, GRRRR).

To make a long story short, eventually a judgement appeared on my report because of it. However, the kind folks at the VA DMV "forgot" to append a case number onto said judgement, so there was no referencing information on the credit report. Naturally I disputed the judgement (last year) and it went away. Here's hoping the same happens to you. Bureaucracy can occasionally work in your favor. ;-)

Cheers,
    Cindy

12. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Don't Worry, Anyone

Sorry to read about this situation. Quite a nasty surprise, but I hope an isolated one.

I think prayer is a very positive move in this case, and here's an additional point about prayer: God can not only fix problems, either by giving us courage or by working miracles. God can also warn us about dangers, either actual or potential. For those who observe Christmas, remember that Joseph was warned by God in a dream to flee to Egypt, thereby escaping King Herod's mass murder of young Jewish children.

There are a lot of dangerous or malicious people out there, so we all need protection sometimes. Consulting with God before making major decisions can make life go a lot smoother.

No criticism intended, just encouragement. Merry Christmas to everyone. (Friday was the 12th day of Christmas. I see no reason to put away my Christmas music yet, if ever.)

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well, they have a case or judgement #. But of course I will fight it anyway.

roni

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Roni, keep praying

Girl, don't worry. I have had my high interest rate car loan for almost 3 years and suddenly, TransUnion is reporting that I paid thirty days late in 7/00. When I disputed it, they changed it to 9/00. However, I called my lender to ask them to stop reporting erroneous information and found out that when TransUnion contacted them, they told them that they would not verify ANY information without my consent. Now how they got a confirmation of a late date from that, I don't know. I went ahead and applied for my mortgage anyway. 5 years ago, my credit was crap and I was in the middle of graduate school and making less than 19,000 a year. I make more than triple that now, my credit has been good for the last 4 years and I'll be doggone if I'm going to let those idiots keep me from owning a house, and you shouldn't either. You've got the right idea...Prayer can work a thousand times faster than we can think of a solution. You keep looking forward and keep planning that new home purchase.

15. kim

kim Well-Known Member

The tax liens were put on my report in 1998 and 1999. I paid them both in 4/00. When I went to pay them the man at the tax office said he's heard of people closing on the same day they get the release papers from the court,in GA that's about 30 days after payment.

16. roni

roni Well-Known Member

thank you

;