Did I make the right move???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Sep 25, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I've had my Bank of America Plat. Visa since July 2001, and I spoke with a customer service rep. in mid-September. He mentioned the cash back card, where you get 2% cash back for all purchases you make on the card. I just called tonight asking why I hadn't gotten the new card yet, and the lady told me there had been a few requests for the card, and it said "only availiable on classic and gold." She asked me if I wanted to downgrade to the gold. I contemplated for a while "do I want to lose Platinum status?" I finally went for it, because the 2% extra in my pocket seems more appealing. I will still keep my $6,000 credit line and the interest rate I was approved for. Do you think this was a bad move? I am sure I can call back within the next day or so to reverse it. What does everyone think?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PLATINUM DOESN'T MEAN MUCH...
    GOLD USED TO BE $5,000 MINIMUM...

If you keep interest rate and credit limit...no big loss, ESPECIALLY IF YOU GAIN 2% CASH BACK...

My wife has a GOLD VISA from another bank that is 3% LOWER than the PLATINUM...

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

matty,

Here is a link comparing the benefits of platinum and gold cards from Visa. I think George is right. Platinum these days is nothing more than window dressing (unless you travel a lot).

http://www.visa.com/pd/enhancements/main.html