Digging Out from Under

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Mar 22, 2000.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

I'm recovering from a bankruptcy back in '94. Was able to get a car loan (not the best interest rate, but, hey, I'm mobile!)back in January 1999. Got a credit card from CCB (I was not only a babe in the woods, I was *desperate*) shortly after the bankruptcy was discharged. Have a limit of 2,400, balance 1,700. As those of you who've been with CCB know, we're talking high interest, annual fee, and all the other yadda-yadda. I have a good record with them, however. Can anyone recommend a credit card for less-than-perfect folks that would have a no annual fee, and a lower interest rate, to which I could transfer the balance currently on my CCB card? Thanks! This is an excellent board--I'm really impressed!

2. Credit Ran

Credit Ran Guest

Donna Before you apply try getting a copy of your file. as you are close to the 7 year mark it might be a good time to challenge any "false or obsolete" information.Once all the adverse data is "cleansed" then challenge the BR as reported (there is most likely some error in there) You have the opportunity to cleanse your file and I am guessing you were savvy enough to keep out of further debt or problems. Open a secured account and you should have 3 good trade lines with CCB your car note and your secured Visa or Amex. After which time the creditors will be suitors SEEKING your business. Good luck CR

3. GS

GS Guest

RE: Digging Out from CCB

Donna what ever you do you need to get away from CCB as soon as possible, there a bunch of crooks who are getting alot of law suits,
    and complaints against them. You can bet all
    the customers will have to pay bogus fees to
    help pay for there fines and lawyers. I would not tell them you are looking for another bank or they will hold a payment to charge you late fees, or some other stupid
    fees. I think Aries which is through
    providian has alittle better rate than CCB
    on some of there cards, depending on which
    card you start with. Doris or StevenZ could
    probably tell you more about them. another
    one you might check out is Capitol-One. I
    have one of there's and there rate is alot
    lower than CCB also. There is an annual
    fee but I don't have to pay a monthly fee.
    Good Luck and I hope you can get away from CCB. I've heard alot of people say I've had
    no problem with CCB and then all of a sudden
    things go bad over some mistake CCB made and admitted it was there mistake but the customer has to pay the fees for CCB's error.
    That's just a word of caution, you can ignore it if you want to.

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

CR--Seems I've got at least a few ducks in a row! Got two credit reports yesterday, which I plan to go over with a fine-toothed comb, and am awaiting the third. Re: challenging the BR when the time comes--do I do this through the credit bureaus? Any suggestions as to what I should look for? The bulk of it was medical bills, plus I hadn't realized that, even though I signed a quit-claim deed at the time of my divorce 'way back in 1986, I was still on the note for my ex's house, so that was discharged as well. Am working at getting the CCB balance down ASAP--that's where the bulk of my tax return went, and I'm hoping to have some more extra funds to zap that way soon. Boy, was I ever gullible when I signed on with them! So you think a secured card is the way to go. Any recommendations as to who to go with? I really appreciate your excellent advice! Donna

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: Digging Out from CCB

Believe me, I'm working at getting away from CCB as soon as possible! Your warnings are most definitely being heeded! Thanks!

6. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

These are the companies I recommend for secured cards. They all have good to excellent customer service and if a customer holds up their end of the bargain he or she will not be slapped with arbitrary fees, unlike CCB.

American Express Secured Optima. Your credit limit matches your deposit. The only downside to this card is that they do not report to the bureaus, but if you comply with their rules (no overlimits and no late payments) they will review your account for possible conversion to an unsecured Optima card. As I recall, the review takes place in 12 months. Check out their website for more info.

Chase Secured Mastercard. Call 1-800-48-CHASE for an application. They match your credit limit to your deposit. Your account is not reported as a secured card to the bureaus. They will review your account in 12-18 months for conversion to an unsecured Chase Mastercard.

Capital One Mastercard/Visa. Some people will tell you that this company is the second cousin to Satan. I think they are a good and reputable company. Several years ago your credit limit matched your deposit, but now it frequently exceeds your deposit. They are conservative with credit increases. I've heard that conversion to unsecured is difficult from people on this board, but anyone I know personally who I directed to them made the jump in 18 months to 2 years.

Good luck.

7. Credit Ran

Credit Ran Guest

My pleasure maam :)
    Try American Express Secured, Capitol One, Bank of AMerica
    With three trade lines and if you can get the BR entries out..... BTW Medical Bills tend to get knoocked out fairly easily because there is never enough staff to keep up with creidt bureau inquiries. After the trade lines with BR data have been eliminated then challenge the bankruptcy Public Record data (since it would be of little value to have the BR data out with trade lines showing discharged in BR) FICO points should be greatly improved by that point.
    Good Luck CR

8. Tee

Tee Guest

Apply for the Nextcard. I did and then cancel Crooks Country Bank.

9. Frank

Frank Guest

If you have a bankruptcy reported on your credit report Chase won't give you a secured card. It's their new rules.

10. Joseph Smi

Joseph Smi Guest

did next card turn you down before your CCB account was approved?