ding! preparing for round 2 EXP

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by db, Nov 1, 2001.

1. db

db Member

Ok, I admit it. Lurking on this board's becoming a little bit of an obsession... And now I feel compelled to share some of the little victories.

The score so far: 1 late pay deletion, a couple of "updated" tradelines and 4 inq deletions.
    I've noticed some folks have had trouble deleting inquiries from Experian, and I just wanted to share that I've had all 4 hard inquiries deleted in my first round of online disputes with EXP.

None of the inquiries seemed familiar - so I wrote a little note on my online dispute and made sure to opt out of information sharing. Gotta love the internet...

The thing was the deletions happened over a range of a couple of weeks, with some happening within 24 hours of submitting the request.

I'm planning the next wave to dispute my remaining 30 late pays with MBNA, BofA, and FNB Omaha. I figured I'd write the creditors directly before resubmiting a dispute with the CRAs.

Does anybody have a sample letter or strategy for writing the creditors directly asking them to delete a single 30-day late payment on an otherwise well-maintained account? I've searched the board and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

-db

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I would try calling the customer service if it is an active account... explain the situation and see what they say... if no, ask for a manager and try again...

Worth a few minutes before writing.... Were you 30 days late or 1-29 days late? :)

3. db

db Member

Bkev:
    I've got to go back through my records for a couple from 1998-99. But at first look they seem to be in the 1-29 day range. I called MBNA before writing the EXP dispute and they said they couldn't even find the record of the late pay, and that it was probably going to drop off my acct soon. Then when the account verified, it came back as 30 days late 1994, 30 days late 1999.

So who would I speak to on the phone: the regular customer service rep, their manager, or someone in the accounting department?
    db

4. cariba

cariba Well-Known Member

db,

I have had success having late pays with Cap One and FCNB removed.

For Cap (1 X 30 days), I wrote a letter stating that I closed out their account at the advice of a mortgage broker, in preparation for buying a home. Told them I never had problems with them, valued my good credit, and that I would have a need for their services in the future, once I closed on my home.

For FCNB, it was an old account (2 X 30 days) and I have a current account with them. I got them to look at the payment history on my current account, and stressed that I payed my bills on time, valued my good credit--and that I would hate for this derogatory info. to affect our business relationship. I just found out that this info. was deleted off Experian a few days ago.

I carry balances, and I am sure that they don't want to lose my business.

I have started dealing directly with the companies instead of the CRAs, and have had success--it's expensive to do the CRRs, but so far I have a 100% success rate!

Hope this helps.

cariba

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Sounds great... I would just call again and get them to put it in writing this time. If the person on the telephone doesn't have the authority, ask to speak someone who does... work up the chain, but DON'T wait for callbacks.... get it done with one call. Have them fax it! With that in hand call to start another investigation, mention the letter and ask to submit it as evidence.... They may provide a fax# (if not ask here) or request you mail it.

Good luck!

6. db

db Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm still not getting anywhere with people on the phone. They're giving me the old "legally we cannot change those records" line. Then the MBNA person says I have to dispute it with the CRA. I went back through my records and found that I had made a phone payment 10 days after the end of the billing cycle for the month in question (after checking to see if they had received my snailmail payment). A couple of days after that the mailed-in payment was posted. So it sure seems like this would be something to take up with MBNA and not the CRA, because if I mail the CRA copies of my statement and cancelled checks the statements say "your account is late" and the phone xfer check is dated after the closing date. Hrmpf.

Any advice on getting MBNA to drop that late payment? I hear about people doing it all the time... what's the secret?

db