direct merchants

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mousie, Jul 10, 2000.

1. mousie

mousie Guest

I got a "guaranteed approval" from this bank (250 limit w/ $49 deposit, 500 limit w/ $99 deposit). I've read complaints about them on this board... should I go for it? My "husband" said I should and that the people who complain on the internet about their cards are those who screw up w/ late pays, etc. & cause their own rates to jack up, so if I don't make those mistakes, I won't have a problem.

2. Renae

Renae Guest

Mousie--I agree with your husband. Go for it and also that most of the people who complain about them on this board aren't being totally honest about their situation. (note: I said most--not all). I have a DMB card and have been very happy. Just make your payments on time. You should know that when making a payment, they will apply it as a payment but won't be released as available credit for 15 days. That's a real pain but you can get around this by having your bank fax over a letter stating that your check has cleared. It's then released within 24 hours. I've also discovered that if your payment is $50 or under, they don't hold it--it's released right away.

I'm told that all of these restrictions change after you've gotten past the 1 year probationary period successfully. Some people don't think this is fair (if you read this board), but truthfully, a lot of people who have bad credit also have a history of writing bad checks! People don't want to admit that. So unfortunately, we all have to pay and are considered to be high risks by the institutions who are giving us a chance. I play by the rules and look forward to the time when I don't have to have only sub-prime lenders. So I say, go for it! If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me directly by clicking on my name. Otherwise, good luck!

3. Stormie

Stormie Guest

I agree, go for it. I have there platinum card and have no problems. I also know some people who have their gold cards ,and regular cards with no complaints. I think if you abide by the terms and conditions you'll be fine. If you encounter any problems call the right away. Also perhaps if you send them a money order the will release your payment right away. I haven't ever encountered this problem as mine are released right away so I'm not real sure on this. Take advantage of the situation and enjoy.

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Money order won't help, unless you call and point it out to them. I send cashiers checks because I get them for free from my credit union. If you call and point out that it is a cashier's check, they will release it. I have done this before business trips in the past. They have been more than fair with me, and I was a heckuva risk when I took their offer.

5. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: CONTACT FOR THIS BANK?

Can anyone please post a phone # or a website for this bank.

Do they only accept offers they send out, or do they solicit new customers?

6. kim

kim Well-Known Member

RE: CONTACT FOR THIS BANK?

Here's your answer...

phone: 800-379-7999

I hope this helps. With the exception of them refusing to discuss the account with me (my husband is the primary cardholder), I have no problems with them. Our credit line has been adjusted accordingly and we've been pretty happy. A minor problem I've noticed with them, after being with them for 2 years and having an impecable record...they won't lower our rate. Oh well, things could be worse. Good luck to you.

7. Keith

Keith Guest

I received a "pre-approved" offer from DMB for a gold card. I went ahead and applied. I was approved although my credit history is not great. I have not had any problems caused by them. The only problem I encountered was my fault but I think DMB could have more mercy. I exceeded my credit limit by $1.00...that's right $1.00...and they charged me a $29.00 over the limit fee! I called customer service and they told me that I am allowed one and only one waiver. The waiver allows me to have the over the limit fee removed. I have to wait until my next bill is sent before I can use the waiver. To get around the 15 day delay for payments over $50 by check use your bank's on-line bill pay service. I use this service and DMB receives my payment in 2 days and no holding.

8. Stormie

Stormie Guest

How does this online bill pay work ? I'm sure the fee's for this vary from finacial institions but I would like a general idea. I guess the best thing to do would be to contact my bank .

9. Keith

Keith Guest

My bank charges $5.00 monthly for the service for unlimited use. They will pay an unlimited number of merchants as many times during the month I choose. For example, I rented some funiture for about 2 months and the on-line pay service paid the bill weekly. You can set up automatic payments or payments where you manually initiate. If the merchant is set up on the computerized banking system then payment takes only 2 days. Direct Merchants is set up and payments are posted within 2 days after I request my bank to make a payment. By the way, some banks don't charge a fee when your checking balance remains at a certain level. I think on-line pay is best. For starters, your creditors will never receive a bounced check. The service will not pay the merchant if you don't have the funds in your checking account! The funds are immediately taken from checking account when you request a bill to be paid! Also, you can easily dispute any creditor concerning payments because the on-line service keeps records of dates and amounts and when the creditor received payment.

10. Len

Len Guest

I agree, Keith. Wells Fargo online bill pay even covers late fees if your payments are scheduled 5 days prior to the due dates. I started this service at the height of my Cross Country late/lost payment nightmare and Wells Fargo dealt with them. The CCB problem was immediately solved. It is worth the $5 monthly fee.

11. mousie

mousie Guest

thanks everyone for your input!!! it really helped with my decision!!

12. Keith

Keith Guest

Len,

Hmmmm...my bank doesn't cover late fees! I will have to check Wells Fargo out!

13. Len

Len Guest

Keith, Wells Fargo reimbursed me twice for Cross Country late charges and were very nice about it. Also, they virtually represented me by contacting Cross Country and I never had a late or lost payment again. I also never again had to be subjected to Cross Country's customer service insults and questions about my honesty! Wells made Cross Country toe the line! That alone made their online banking worthwhile.

14. Franceska

Franceska Guest

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long it took to get you Direct Merchants Bank card after they cashed the check. I received a pre-approved offer, and I had heard a lot of negative things after I had sent the check. I know that Cross Country Bank is horrible, and I have the experience to show for it. They really did post late payments, and it was always a fight. It got to the point that I had to send my payments "return receipt requested" from the post office to prove payment mailing date was well ahead of due date, and they charged a fee for direct debit!!!

I am hoping that DMB is not another one like that. Now I am worried - will I get the card or will they just take my money!

15. Franceska

Franceska Guest

Just wondering if anyone is going to answer me. I somehow accidently took the NEW mark off my question.