Discover Card Screwjob! (long)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Bill Mande, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Bill Mande

Bill Mande Guest

I believe I am providing a public service to warn consumers about how Discover does business. I have contacted Discover several times about a debt that should be removed immediately from my account.

The debt belongs to my ex-wife who I divorced in 1996. I never signed up for her account and I never agreed to be a joint party to her account. All our credit cards have always been separate and every other credit card company has had no trouble billing the appropriate person. The Discover Platinum customer service reps have acknowledged that they have no written record or any evidence that I ever agreed to this debt. Giving my ex-wife credit, with her credit history, is their mistake, not mine.

This is a serious matter. My ex-wife's credit is a black mark against me. I have made it clear that I am not a party to this debt. Since I contacted them, they have extended her more credit and her debt is now double what it was just four months ago. It looks to me like they have deliberately allowed her to run up debt and get me to pay for it by attacking my good name in the credit reporting system. If they consider me to be a party to this debt, then why did they not follow my instructions to cap this credit and allow her to continue to borrow at my expense?

If they want to give my ex-wife additional credit, that is their business as long as I am not a party to it. But it's clear that they are loaning her money based on the strength of my credit rating. Based on my experience with credit institutions, there is no way that they would have extended my ex-wife credit based on her credit history alone. I find it offensive that they are trying to take advantage of me by extending credit to a third party and using my credit rating as a way to extort money from me,

I question their integrity and business tactics. It is clear to me that they are knowingly and deliberately trying to extort money from me by using improper and illegal methods of doing business.

I therefore demanded that they remove me immediately from her account and correct my credit history immediately. Then did not respond. Now I am looking to take the necessary steps to punish them for their poor ethics.

Any advice and help is appreciated!

2. bummer

bummer Guest

Re: Discover Card Screwjob! (l

Have you written them or just talked on the phone?When you talk on the phone write down the date and time and get the persons full name and an employee number if they have one. When they speak to you if you don't get their name, you really have no proof that you called and they have no reprocussions if they screw you. Call them by their name and number several times during your coversation ex. "Sally Smith #43215 I hope you can help me today....... and Sally Smith # 43215".......when can I expect action to be taken. They know you know who they are......
    Demand a copy, validation, of the application your x sent in.........when you send in letters send 3 or four of the same thing---- they tend to end up in different places- they can misplace one, but four?
    don't know if I was much help - I can see your near the end of your rope. You could send in a portion of the FCA with a letter and highlight the law they are breaking..............
    Also contact the CRA that discover reports to in writing and dispute the postings on the above mentioned charges - "your name is not on the account" - when they investigate- and they must - maybe their inquires with discover will aid you - it is illegal to post reports that are not in your name (FCA) - theirs a duo in Georgia (attorneys) that specifically deal with Fair Credit Act cases -don't have their names........ if you have aol, type in the search "Fair credit act" and it should bring it up