Discover card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jsever, Nov 19, 2001.

1. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I did some searches on here for info regarding Discover Bank. Didn't come up with many. I applied for Platinum on-line and it said it would take 4 weeks to approve. Does anyone know if this is standard. Also, what kind of credit limits can I expect? Thanks.

2. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I had a pre-approval, it took about 3 weeks, credit limit of 10K.

3. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

By pre-approval do you mean in the mail? Or were you instantly approved on-line?

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

5. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I had had several by mail that I ignored, then was contacted by phone one day...I wasn't going to accept, but decided what the heck. The rates are not that great, but after having the card for a while I called and was able to get a 1.9% BT rate and purchase rate of 9.9% until 2/02. I use it for the cash back and to help my ratios.

6. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

You're so sharp, George! I don't believe that appeared on the app I used though. But thanks. Probably a denial.

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I have the card 5K limit. I didnt get instant approval either.

By the way what browser do you use. Discover told me you can't get instant approval unless your browser is above 4.1 or something like that, i found this odd but that's what they said.

8. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I was using Netscape (not 6.5) 4. something. I use Explorer at home.

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

JD you can call them and ask to speak woth an account manager and asked if you are approved.

I applied last year and called about 3 days after applying, they told me i was declined.

10. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

You say you were declined last year. You now have the card with 5k limit? Did you ask for reconsideration or did you wait until your credit improved??

11. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I hate hearing a verbal decline. It always leaves me speechless. I would much rather be declined on-line.

12. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

No I just waited, I applied back then with almost no credit history.

I started get preapprovals in the mail from them and decided to give it a shot.

13. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

I was instantly approved online and my wife got that wait message but she got a card for 6k