Discover Gold card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by belletete, Aug 4, 2001.

1. belletete

belletete Member

I got an pre-approval today in the mail for the Gold Card. Does anyone have it? How easy is it to get a credit line increase?

I already have the following

MBNA - 12,500

Citibankusa 12,500

First USA 5,000

I would like to get one more card.

low 1.0 intro. rate until Feb 2002. Please let me know. Thanks

2. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

You have two Platinum cards from Tier 1 banks. I wouldn't go with a Gold from Discover! Please go to PlanetFeedback and see all of the complaints there. What's your credit like?

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THE GOLD DISCOVERCARD HAS A WEIRD CASH BACK SCALE...

1.90% BT (5 MONTHS)
    It starts out BETTER than REGULAR AND PLATINUM, but then DROPS...

$20 per $2,000...up to $6,000 (1.00%)
    Then $10 for each $2,000 (0.50%)
    *IT DOES NOT COME OUT AND SAY IT...BUT IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO GET NO CASH BACK FOR SPENDING $1,832.89 (WORDING IS VAGUE)???

$500 maximum cash back...

MAY BE GOOD TO GET FOR A SECOND DISCOVERCARD ACCOUNT...IF THEY WILL LET YOU...(I GOT SO CALLED "PRE-APPROVED" MAIL ON IT, BUT TRASHED IT)...

4. belletete

belletete Member

My credit is excellent about 700 FICO and a lot of good tradelines. I'm looking for another Tier 1 account anyone have any ideas? Thanks

5. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Juniper.

6. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

an American Express card.

-

7. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

If belletete's credit is excellent he/she should go for Amex, I agree.

Mine's not completely squeaky clean so I'm waiting till I hit 720.

I did apply for Juniper, though, and really liked what I was hearing from the rep I spoke to, their web site, and reviews I've read. I think they are going to be a very good card to have. I'm hearing the future will bring good bennies (even if the goto rate is not that competitive right now).

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

I agree with folks here - Amex. 9.9 is a good, solid rate (vs. Discover which go-to's are 13.99-16.99). Do the math for 18 months- 1.9% for 6 months then 14.9 for 12 months isn't as good as 9.9 for 18 months.

One more thing for Amex - limit increases (for me) have been generous - versus Discover which hasn't budged in 2 years.

Chase has some great intro rates (2.9 ot 3.9 now) that last for 9 months - go-to's are 12-ish, but they're always offering additional BT rates in the 5-7 range.

In order of customer service-

1. Amex (Blue)
    2. Chase
    3. Discover (always trying to sell me some kind of service every time I call ... ugh)

In order of "generosity" with limit increases:

1. Amex Blue ($9.3k in 99 - 21.6k today)
    2. Chase (9k in 99 - 15k today)
    3. Discover (10k in 99 - 10k today)

In order of APR rates ("value" of the card):

1. Amex (Blue) - 9.9
    2. Chase - (2.9 for 9 months, 5.9 for 9 more months, 12.3 today)
    3. Discover - (2.9 for 6 months, 12.99 for a few, raised to 15.99 for a few, retention lowered to 13.99)

Good luck-
    mj

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

mj
    1. Amex Blue ($9.3k in 99 - 21.6k today)
    3. Discover (10k in 99 - 10k today)

MINE~~~
    1)AMEX BLUE 1999 $15,500
    2001 $15,500 WOW!!!!!!!!

3)DISCOVERCARD $13,000 IN 1996
    TODAY $14,500 WOW!!!!!!

10. mj

mj Well-Known Member

George-

I've gotta ask - what are you reporting for household income? That's got to be playing a role in your anemic increases!

11. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I think Amex and Discover are both very stingy about increases.

Mine:
    1) Blue 2000 $2000
    now $2500
    2) Discover 200 $13000
    now $14,500

Very stingy compared to my other cards.

btw - how did you guys get decent limits with Blue? Mine stinks!

12. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Other - our HH income is $150k, I think that's what Amex looks at for limit increases. Most others I deal with don't really seem to care (some don't even ask).

13. the other

the other Well-Known Member

mj - mine's not that far off from yours @ 130k.

In December (6 months after the 500 increase), I will call and speak to someone about getting a decent limit. They won't do it now, I've already tried. They said I have to wait 6 months. I am very tempted to close the account if I don't get a decent limit. I have enough other accounts all with decent limits, I don't *need* this card.

14. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Amex Blue is a good card- they are sticklers about the 6-months rule.

When you get a human after the 6 months, they usually ask "what kind of limit are you looking for..." just be honest and tell them you're building your credit and want this to be one of your primary cards- and ask for 30%-50% more.

Good luck-
    mj