Discover Platinum - don't both

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Chet, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

I had a BK in 1992 and my credit has been perfect since then (14 good tradelines). Discover sent me one of their "pre-approved" applications in the mail and I applied. I was denied and the reason was because of the "bankruptcy". My combined household income with me and my wife is over $120,000.
    Bottom line: If you have a BK, don't bother with Discover - your automatically denied because of the BK. It's nothing but a wasted inquiry.

chet

2. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

RE: Discover Platinum - don't

Depending on what chapter you file, Bankruptcy can stay on your record for as long as 10 years, Platinum cards are very hard to qualify for as it is, regardless of what bank it is, it's a good idea to abstain from applying for these cards and risk potentially negative inquiries until issues such as bankruptcy and other major negatives are off your record and resolved.

Regards,
    Alex
    Creditinsiders.com

-------------------
    Bad Credit? No Credit? Free Help!
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

3. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

They state in their "pre-approved" offer that if you don't qualify for the platinum card that you will be considered for a classic Discover card. Quite honestly I figured that's the one I might have a chance at getting - but Discover shot me down cold because of the BK! I'm curious why they would send my an offer if I never had a chance to begin with? Why me.......?

chet

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I don't know what the deal is w/ Discover but I've been receiving that same Platinum offer ALL DAY long for the last like 4? years or so? I had all kinds of bull s#$% on my credit but I always got that offer in the mail no matter what. I think maybe what they do is solicite the credit bureaus for people who meet a certain criteria (ie people who have cards w/ $5k+ limits)? Just guessing......

5. Larry

Larry Guest

I keep receiving the same offer every week, but I am not ready for Discover just yet... don't want to waste an inquiry.

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I think your guessing right MP, I got the famous preapproval from discover last year, good credit just new but I did have 5K card, got DENIED and yet they still send me a preapproval every month like clockwork, I won't bite again though I have already been bitten:)