Discover Platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Chris, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

How hard is it to get approved for a Discover Platinum? Is it easier to get approved than a Juniper Card? Is it easier to get approved for the Discover Platinum than most other Platinum Cards? Please reply.

2. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

Why not apply and find out?

3. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

I think Juniper is harder to get .

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I don't think it is hard to get because I got this card 6 months after my first credit card (Providian) and I had a bunch of inquiries on my report at that time.

5. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I've been waiting to hear from Discover Plat for now 3 weeks. Everyone has told me to call and I'm not going to worry about it too much. If I never hear from them, that would be fine. I got an increase on my Providian MC and I'm happy so I'm going to sit my behind down now. :)

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Shantel. What attracted you to apply for the Discover card? Is it the CRA they pull from?

Thanks Jim

7. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

Well,
    It took me about 1 month to receive my Discover Platinum card from the day of applying over the phone. I used to have a Discover Classic card a few years ago, but I never used it. Now I realized how much I could have benefited from that card if I had used it. I could have recieved a nice cash back bonus over the years. Well, I decided to try again for the Discover card, but this time a Platinum card. I was approved without any question. I am one of those who likes to keep their credit reports and history clean, so that may be one of the reasons why I was approved for the card.

If you do recieve this card, let me tell you, its a sharp looking card. Ive had mine for about 1 week now and every time I use it, cashiers and customers are like, "wow, thats a pretty card". It is sharp, but thats not why I wanted it. If you use this card right, you can greatly benefit from it. You can actually get cash back just for using the card.

Why don't you just go ahead and apply for the card? If you are denied for a Platinum account, you can recieve the Classic account which still has a cash back bonus. Go for it, you may be surprised. So far, I feel that Discover is a wonderful bank. Last Sunday, they locked my account because I made 2 purchases of gas at different locations 3 hours apart. They thought that suspicious activity was going on with my card. They called me and left a message on my machine stating to call their security dept. @ ----- . I did, they asked me questions, and I told them that I was travelling out of town and that "I" made all of the purchases. They unlocked the account and I was all set. The reason they said they did this was because my account was very new at the time and they wanted to be sure everything was fine. Now, thats a great company who really cares about their cardholders. Im sure other companies do the same thing, but I like the fact that Discover personally cared about my account.

8. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

and ...What limit did you get ?

9. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

I have it since July 00 and I'm quite satisfied with it. It's relatively easy to get it even with a short credit history. In fact I got at about 10 months after my first card ever and they gave me 6k limit. At the time my biggest limit was 1200... However I heard they are stingy if you have baddies in your report

They are a bit paranoid about your acount security, as a result you'll have the card blocked when you deviate a bit from your spending pattern (especially in the beginning).

I also had some problems with them when I had to replace the card (lost). First they sent a card with the same account number, then they sent a classic, finally they got it right third time...

10. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Applied with mid-600s earlier this week and got the you'll hear from us soon message. LOL, I assume I did not get it. I may be surprised but I doubt it. I don't think this a card for those of us repairing our credit but those with the 680-700 range we subprime types are all working for.

As a side note, I wish Jason would stop posting "Why don't your just try?" It is the most responsible thing in the world for us to educate ourselves about our credit and the companies we are applying to. If a company does NO subprime business and you have subprime credit, you are wasting your time and lowering your score by taking an inquiry just to see. "...just try..." is terrible advice in my opinion.