Discover VS Amex & MC

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JAL, Mar 11, 2001.

1. JAL

JAL Guest

To all of the wonderful people out there in this world,

Recently, I have been giving much thought to applying for a Discover Platinum Card. I received an offer in the mail a few weeks ago and then I trashed it later in the day. Then I started thinking about the Cash back reward plan that they have, 1% if you spend over 3K/yr, .25%/1k/yr .50%/2k/yr, .75%/3k/yr. I have a Amex Blue and a Citibank Platinum, both prestigious cards, I love them. I was thinking about applying for the Discover Platinum and and putting all of my purchases towards the Discover so I can build up a bonus at the end of the purchase year. But lets say you spend $4000/yr and you get a cash back bonus of 1%, that equals: $40 which they would mail you a check for, free money. It sounds good, but I don't know if I should stop using my Amex and Citi and just switch over to Discover entirely. Is there anyone else out there who is in a situation such as the one I am faced with? If so, please reply back. I want my credit report to stay in good standing. Having many accounts listed as open and closed in effect makes your credit report seem sub-par, which is exactly what I don't want. I only have 2 open accounts, and I am wondering whether or not the Discover card would be a nice addition to my credit history. Mind you, I once had a Classic Discover card but I cancelled it, never used it because, I just don't know, I just used MC/VISA instead probably because of acceptability of these cards at more locations than Discover. I need help. Should I stay just as I am right now and build many years of credit history and good scores with Amex and Citi or should I invite another contender into my credit world which if I did, would utterly shut down my main 2 accounts primarly because, of the cash-back, free money program. The more you charge on that particular card, the more you get back, everyone likes that.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

You already have BLUE, you might have a better chance at AMERICANEXPRESS CASH BACK CARD.
    I have BLUE and DISCOVERCARD, I'm thinking about dumping DISCOVERCARD because they refuse to increase the credit line without an application and credit report. I SPEND $30,000+ PER YEAR ON DISCOVERCARD...(ONE YEAR $80,000+)

https://www25.americanexpress.com/servlet/Applyfservlet?34/22/b/10/0/070182325120/22/n&from=3

CALL FIRST to see if you would be "ALREADY APPROVED" for the card on their internal computer.

YES, YOU CAN HAVE MORE THAN ONE AMEX CARD.

3. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Also could try Citibank Dividend.

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

remember discover 2-cycle billing :)

Could catch you off guard.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Paying interest on a "CASH BACK" card is counter-productive...ALWAYS PAY IN FULL.
    Two-cycle billing has no effect on a paid account.

IF YOU ARE NOT IN A POSITION TO PAY IN FULL, YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH A 9.99% OR 9.90% OR 8.90% FIXED RATE CARD.

6. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

JAL,

I have a Discover Platinum in addition to AMEX Blue and Citibank Platinum and I found that the cash back isn't that great. If it takes spending $3,000/yr to earn 1%, it really isn't worth much in the end. You can use this money to earn air miles or free merchandise like CD players and DVD movies. The main reason I got Discover Platinum was to get the cash back, but now I'm not using it much.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

To make DISCOVERCARD "PAY OFF" you have to use the card for EVERYTHING!!! THEN PAY IN FULL...

8. JAL

JAL Guest

Thanks everyone,
    Wow, this board is great. This is the first time I've posted a message on here and the responses were nice. Mike, it seems as if you have a lot in common with me as regards credit card accounts. I've decided to leave Discover alone at this time. Im content with my 2 cards and Amex Blue has the Blue Loot program, similar to cash back, but you recieve products/gifts when you accumalate enought points. I want to keep my credit report as small as possible. The less closed and open accounts the beter and the easier it is to read the reports. What I will do is stick with Amex and Citibank for a long time and build up an extensive yet powerful and superior credit history with them.