Discover

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Reshod, Sep 28, 2000.

1. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Hey, i got the discover card in the mail today. I dont even remember applying for the card. The APR is 17.9%, but thats below the market average. Next, in about 8 months, i will apply for that Gold or Plat.
    I still have a collection on my report from 1995. I am moving on up, goodbye Cap1. Thanks Everyone

Reshod

2. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

Sorry, but they do not offer a gold card. Be careful about carrying a balance on the card---it is the WORST card to do such a thing because they use 2 cycle billing to calculate your finance charges, and it can almost double your interset per billing period. First USa also does this. Go for AMEX Blue, or naother card, that offers fixed 10.99%--much below the market average.

3. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Amex Rep

I applied for the Amex student card and they denied me!! So Amex rep, what can i do??
    I dont want to waste an inquiry on a denial!

Reshod

4. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: Amex Rep

Reshod, what credit limit did you get?

CONGRADULATIONS!

5. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Michael, they started me off with a 1000, but now i have some leverage. I am going to call Cap1 and Amex and talk to a supervisor about their recent denials. I hope that this prompts them to act. I will keep you posted.

Reshod

6. David

David Well-Known Member

I'm sure AMEX denied you because of your collection. They want perfect credit histories.

7. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

What did they say was the reason? Income should not be a problem since you are attending a degree school. Do you have any previous credit problems (i.e. charge-offs)?

8. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

They said the following:
    too many recent inquiries
    collection from 1995

9. CK19

CK19 Guest

Actually, Discover has just recently(like in the last 2 weeks)started offering a gold card-Parents keep getting invitations for Discover Gold and Plat.