dispute inquiries letter..

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Ender, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of this? How can I make improvements on it? This letter is written to the creditor/CA's.

--------

June 18, 2001

XXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXX
    Address
    CITY, ST ZIP

Re: Unauthorized Inquiry on my Credit Report

Greetings:

Recently, I received a copy of my Experian credit report. The credit report showed a credit inquiry by your company that I DO NOT recall authorizing. I understand that you shouldn't be allowed to put an inquiry on my file unless I have authorized it. Please have this inquiry removed from my credit file because I have never given any such authorization.

Please forward me documentation that you have had the inquiry removed. If you find that you did have my authorization to inquire into my credit report, then please send me proof with my signature allowing such act. Otherwise, I may file an immediate lawsuit against you and your client for:

1) Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
    2) Defamation of Character
    3) Negligent Enablement of Identity Fraud.

I am finding your inquiry to be very damaging to my report. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Best regards,
    NAME

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Looks pretty good to me.

Just one thing you might think about adding to it.

Please notify all inquirers who have pulled my credit report during the last ...................

Whatever the law is on that.

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Ender,

It looks great to me. I wrote 2 similar letters two lenders, but with a few differences. By the way the inquiries were both bogus. One is the E-loan inquiry that still shows as a hard inquiry ( can you believe that?) and one is a Chase bank inquiry. I haven't had any dealings with Chase for years.

As to the differences: Here they are...

I used Planet Feedback and requested that a company rep contact me by E-mail before I will provide confidential information related to the inquiry(s). I also gave the companies a suggested deadline when I would like to hear back from them.

Keep us posted. I am quite interested in how you make out.

4. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Bill, I think you are referring to a passage such as this:

The listed item is completely inaccurate and incomplete, and is a very serious error in reporting. Please delete this misleading information, and supply a corrected credit profile to all creditors who have received a copy within the last 6 months, or the last 2 years for employment purposes.

Additionally, please provide the name, address, and telephone number of each credit grantor or other subscriber.

---

However, this wouldn't really apply because the people I am sending this to (Collection agency/creditor) should not have access to who the credit bureaus send my report to. Thus, another letter must be written to the credit bureau demanding removal of the inquiries as well.

For now, I am going to get all negative tradelines removed and once that is accomplished - I am aiming to get inquiries removed as well.. this battle with the CRA's, will be much easier once I get the bigger stuff removed.

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yep, that's exactly right.

And another thing, I was on the phone listening to a guy I know who is an incessant yakker about nothing, so I didn't really get to read your/the post(s) as thoroughly as I would have liked to at the time, but I most definitely got the idea that one or another of the posters also might have not got the true gist of your original post any more than I did. That's just working from mental impressions, however since I didn't really read their posts thoroughly either. Just an impression kind of thing.

May I suggest that you refresh your memory about all the posts and see if you see it that way too?

I'm sure going to do that now that my yakker is off the phone.

I'm most assuredly not going to be making any comments about what other people did or did not think or say, however.

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

To Ender and Bill,

I liked all the comments here by you guys.

I suspect that my e-mail to Chase and E-loan is just a trifle less difficult to deal with than Enders CA's.

My hurdle is to get noticed by Chase and E-loan. Then have them contact me to get my SS3 and delete. Therefore, my E-mail to the CEO's of Chase and E-loan. Each CEO office will likely have someone contact me.

Without being sure, I think Ender's situation is more complex.

Good luck.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

OOPS!!

SS3 means SS# as in Social Security.

Sorry guys.

8. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Jim - You are pretty vague in what you say there.. I am not too sure. I basically have a few inquiries that were never authorized by me on my report and that's what I am disputing - going straight to the source first. As for disputing w/ the CRA's, I will do that once I get all the negatives (major) first. Gotta take care of the more severe ones.. then when lawsuit time comes around against the CRA's, taking off the inquiries off should be a few additional keystrokes for the CRA's..

These inquiries are especially harmful when it says: XXXX Credit Collection Agency Inquiry.. because it states COLLECTION right there - which makes it so when the computers scan your credit to find your score - automatically you are usually dismissed from any further qualifications for a card. Not good at all..

9. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Ender,

You are handling your situation just the way I would if I had collections.

I don't have collections so I have no advice to offer you.

But I like your strategy and wish you good luck. Keep us posted as to how you make out!

10. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

I guess I will have to start this now. I just found out that the local credit bureau....Retail merchants association locally... where I used to buy my credit reports put a HARD INQUIRY on your report. It says it was pulled for "real estate loan purposes" on the credit report. This is seriously bogus since I got my own reports. They also charge 15.00 for each one.

I figure since they don't say that it's a hard inquiry before you pull it, I have a decent chance of disputing it. My last report I pulled is going past the 6 month mark on July 2nd. So it shouldn't hurt my score anymore.

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Judy,

Doesn't that just infuriate you! It would me. CRA actions like this are why I started the "Inquiries - FTC" thread a few days ago.

I have complained to Chase and E-loan. If I do not get results, I will go to the CRA's. If again, I do not get results, I will take my case to the FTC.

It is my sincere hope that when an inquiry ages past 6 months, the inquiry does not damage us consumers anymore.

Best wishes - Jim

12. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Good luck w/ everything Jim. I've heard the FTC is not very responsive.. so hopefully, you will be able to resolve your problems before it gets that far.

13. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Jim, have you spoken with that Eduardo fellow from eloan? I've never spoken directly with him, but my email correspondence was enough to get my inquiry changed.

14. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Jim - here is the email I received from eloan about the inquiry. Why don't you just call this guy?

We have just received confirmation that Experian has removed the hard
    inquiry that was placed on your credit report when you requested your My
    E-LOAN credit score. Please note that you will still see a soft inquiry in
    the name of CreditInfonet (the company who pulled the report on E-LOAN's
    behalf), but these inquiries are for your information only. It allows you
    to keep track of who has viewed your credit report, but is not used by
    lenders and does not affect your credit score. As a reminder, only your
    Experian credit report was pulled so your Equifax and Transunion credit
    reports never showed a hard inquiry.

I sincerely apologize for the delay in having this error corrected. Given
    the number of people affected, Experian was unable to process these
    corrections as quickly as we would have liked.

Thank you for visiting E-LOAN and we look forward to helping you with your
    financing needs in the future.

Sincerely,

Eduardo Pretell
    VP, Product Management
    E-LOAN, Inc.
    eduardop@eloan.com
    Tel: (925) 560-2615
    Fax: (925) 556-2683

15. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks DaveLV, Ender and LKH!

I corredponded several times with Eduardo. Seemed like a nice guy.

However, I never did get the E-mail LKH posted. When I got my Experian report, Midwest Mortgage had indeed been changed to Credit Infonet, however, it is still listed in the "hard inquiry" section.

Reportedly, there were 40,000 entries to fix. Mine got half way fixed. I guess mistakes do happen with the volume here. Anyway, I am confident it will soon be fixed correctly.

16. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Hopefully, my dispute regarding the inquiries will work.. I guess, while I am at it, I might as well dispute a few others because there are several others on there as well.

I think I will start disputing these next round w/ the CRA's as well.. then I can take care of all the ngatives and unapproved inquiries on my report.