Dispute Letter (critique plz)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by AnnMarie, Feb 28, 2001.

1. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

This is what I came up with. Please, rip it apart, I don't want my efforts to be wasted. Thank
    February 28, 2001
    Confirmation # 105245555
    Equifax Credit Information Services
    PO Box 740256
    Atlanta, GA 30374
    Dear Equifax Credit Information Services,
    There is some information that is not correct on my credit report. Not only is the information not my mine, it is duplicated. Please remove the accounts below.
    Quantum Collections Account number 104111948 balance $0.00
    Quantum Collections account number 104111948 (again) balance $14.00
    And also this account:
    Arizona Public Service account number 17065* balance $0.00
    And again:
    Arizona Public Service account number 251029* balance $203.00
    Your expeditious handling of this matter is greatly appreciated, please notify me when these items are correctly removed. Thank you.
    Cordially,
    xxxxxxx
    SS# 555-55-5555

Enclosure (1)

Well?

2. rachal

rachal Member

Re: Dispute Letter (critique p

Sounds good. Maybe start the letter with exactly what you what, i.e. I am contacting you to dispute the following items on my credit report as they are not only not mine, but are duplicates....
    Another idea if you dont want to do a letter, go to their website. I disputed through their website and found it to be very simple. You check a box for each one you dispute and hit the button. My guess is the outcome would be the same no matter what method you use except online might be faster.

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Good letter. I'd add

I'd repeat what you want done w/each acct (I act like I'm talking to a 3 year old) that way I get most stuff off on the first round. Additionally, it sounds like the first acct isn't yours (and is a dup) but the "and again" may be vague. With diff acct numbers it doesn't look like a duplicate (on the Arizona Public). You'd only know it's a duplicate if it was your account... so I'd do a "not mine" again. Eg:

There is some information that is not correct on my credit report. Not only are these accounts not my mine, they are duplicated. Please remove the accounts below:

Remove Quantum Collections Account number 104111948 balance $0.00
    Remove Quantum Collections account number 104111948 (again) balance $14.00

Remove Arizona Public Service account number 17065* balance $0.00
    Remove Arizona Public Service account number 251029* balance $203.00

4. mvfl

mvfl Guest

Re: Good letter. I'd add

It's also a good idea to copy your credit report and highlight each item you are disputing and send that with your letter.

I agree with Marie - you shouldn't state that the Arizona Public Service account is a duplicate because if it really wasn't yours it would just appear to you as 2 different accounts in collection from the same company.

5. AnnMarie

Re: Good letter. I'd add

Good ideas.....thanks! The Az Public thing has all the same matching dates so....I guess I presumed that it would make sense but then again....! I did try the online dispute form for these--we'll see soon enough. At the very least, they'll have to remove the duplicates I imagine, right? That's gotta be good!
    Thanks again and if anyone else has any pointers, I'm all ears.

6. Larry

Larry Guest

Re: Good letter as it is !

Are you sure you are not related;
    Marie = AnnMarie (oh well ! just a thought)

nice going, keep us posted on your results !

I was planning to dispute a neg item on my report but I guess I'll wait 3 months prior to the item falling off to dispute it. It's a 120 late from Bally's which is schedule to fall of on 11/01 (5 yrs).

Flashback: broke my ankle playing b-ball (at least I caught the rebound lol) felt back on payments even though I notified Bally's after the accident... they refused to be of any help and showed their real self... will never do business with them again !!

7. AnnMarie

Re: Good letter as it is !

I hopefully will be able to tap into all the knowledge here at the board for however long I need to--if you all don't mind following my successes and few if any (being optimistic here) failures.
    I'm kinda confused:
    Why would your 120 days fall off after only 5 years? I thought it was 7 years--no exceptions? Just a note though, I had a 30 days late pay coming up on Penney's from 04/94 that was on my credit report a couple months ago--now it is gone. A little early, that was kinda cool :)

8. Larry

Larry Guest

Re: Reason is 5 yrs

I live in NY... it only takes 5 yrs for any derogative info to fall off here ;)

9. Larry

Larry Guest

More explicit

NY state law requires the CRAs to delete the item 5 years after the delinquency, so I have more rights under the state law than under the FCRA.

Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) Article 25 Section 380-j
    New York State Consolidated Laws (General Business Section) NYSCL Gen Biz http://assembly.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/claws?law=44&art=53

(1) Except as authorized under paragraph two of this subdivision, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information.

(iv) accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate the report by more than seven years; or accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss, which have been paid and which antedate the report by more than five years; (I love NY)

10. mvfl

mvfl Guest

Re: More explicit

I had a charged off retail card account that showed up twice on my report. I disputed both as "not mine" but they both were verified and remained. When I called the card company a lady there told me to dispute only one of them as a duplicate and that it should work. I did that recently and am waiting for the results.

11. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Re: More explicit

In my opinion, your proposed letter is a bad move indeed.
    I advocate that one should never make any statements whatsoever to a credit bureau for any reason. It isn't necessary to do so, it opens you to possible criminal charges with heavy penalties and in actuality helps cement the report on you like glue. So why do it??

Simply demand proper verification and that's all you need to do.

Bill Bauer
    creditwrench.hypermart.net
    bbauer1@netzero.net