dispute or what??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Carrie, Apr 19, 2001.

  1. Carrie

    Carrie Well-Known Member

    I have a neg that is a closed mastercard that was closed by me about 6 months ago. It is showing up as opened. It says as of 2007, this account is scheduled to go to a pc. The account doesn't look good. It was opened in 1990 had 2 60 lates in 1999 and 5 30 day lates in the 10 years. Anyway, my question is, do I ask to have it updated stating that I closed the account, or dispute it and try to get it remove all together. I know that the company sold out and changed names. I would hate for it to come back verified and actually be a bad mark even though I paid it off completely and closed the account. Please advise here! Thanks
  2. Bill Bauer

    Bill Bauer Guest

    I would not dispute it at all. In order to dispute it, you obviously would have to give a reason, and I never like to give any reasons, especially if the reason I would have to give in order to dispute it would be such that it "MIGHT tend to incriminate" me. (I don't care if it actually can or cannot, I have the right to be "frightened" or "feel intimidated", don't I?) I might even feel that if I gave a reason, I might just end up making myself look bad in the eyes of others who might investigate my credit report. I don't want to do anything like that at all, so I never like to give any reason at all.

    I know that logic don't make sense to a lot of people, but that's the way I like to look at it, and it makes a lot of sense to me whether it does to anybody else or not.

    So I don't ever give them any reason and I never ask them to "verify" the report. I make them prove it, and I don't want to look bad in the process.

    I've never yet had one of the CRA's give me any static about it, so if they do, I'll worry about that when the time comes. But what they usually do is just come back and say it's been verified and then the real fun begins.

    In your particular case, if they have closed the doors, sold out or for whatever reason no longer exist, it's going to be a lot more difficult for them to prove the report, so it should be pretty likely to get totally removed without having to give them a lot of static about it.

    Yours should be an easy task to get rid of it.
    Just send them a certified return receipt requested letter and say

    Please prove the accuracy of this item on my file.
    It might even help to send them a photostatic copy of the report that carries the item and use a yellow marker to highlight it so the dummies can figure out what you are talking about.

    Bill Bauer
  3. Carrie

    Carrie Well-Known Member

    Ok, this is what I will do. I really need this off my report. It is sad that this card was used for 10 years. 5 x's times out of 10 years I was late. I will let you know what happens here. Thanks for your advise.

Share This Page