dispute question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by creditfree, Aug 30, 2001.

1. creditfree

creditfree Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just how long can you dispute a charge on your credit report? Does it disappear after a certain amount of time and have to be 're-disputed'?

Thanks!

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Any way I can think of to answer your question may seem as though I might be trying to make fun of you here, but let me hasten to state that such is not the case.

You can dispute a charge on your credit report till the cows come home, so to speak. Forever, in otherwords.

If it disappears after a certain amount of time, (say 7 years for example) then you would have no reason whatever to "re-dispute", would you? If you did, it may just show back up again after it was gone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Have a nice one.

3. creditfree

creditfree Well-Known Member

I think it was a simple question, all you had to do was answer it, not get haughty like you always do.

I've only ever disputed one item, I simply want to know if I have to continue to dispute it, OR does it remain a dispute on record after the first time?

4. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is:

Wait until you received the results of the dispute (via an updated credit report). On it, the CRA will state whether they've corrected the item or whether, for some reason, it "remains" uncorrected, was "verified", or otherwise "updated".

If it's corrected, no problem, your work )on that item anyway) is done. If it's not corrected, then you'll have to dispute, request validation, or deal with the creditor directly until it is corrected.

I believe that should come close to answering your question.

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Christ! I do all I can to avoid giving a negative impression and I still get jumped! I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Your original post
    Your next post
    The two posts don't seem to me to ask exactly the same question. The last one states the question in a much clearer manner. Now then, to answer the 2nd question and hope I don't get jumped again, if you dispute an item and it gets removed as a result of your disputing it then it won't ever show back up again unless the creditor or collection agency puts it back on which happens quite often.

If your dispute does not succeed in getting the item wiped off then they will usually add a notation which says something to the effect that the item was verified and another notation that the customer disputes.

Have a nice day

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Mom always said if you can not say anything nice, don't say anything at all........... :)

7. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Bkev:

Would you please tell me what I said in either of my posts that was not nice?

Hey! We thankfully seem to have gotten rid of all the stupid flame wars now and I'm just trying to see how I can become a better citizen around these parts.

8. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Before we all get riled up (oops, my Southern roots are showing!) let me just suggest that the problem may be the limitations of electronic expression.

If I could just "hear" the intonation with which bbauer "spoke" the words in his first reply, it would probably sound inoffensive and friendly.

Try this: whenever a post strikes me as a bit harsh when first I read it, I read it again imagining it being spoken by the voice of my favorite uncle who is a bit of a silly. It often puts a whole other spin on the post and then I find I'm not offended at all.

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Thank you, Hope.

One thing about it with me, when I get riled up, most folks sense it real quick.

I still keep on laughing anyway, even if I am a wee tad bit riled.

PBM didn't like my ascii art all that much. He never said anything about it, he just deleted it when I ascii-arted "the bird" a while back and so I took the hint and never did it again, and I won't ever do any more ascii art on this forum again.

Maybe I'll try Morse Code sometime. You know, as in
    ._.. ._.. or maybe ..._
    I can still type the message in Morse code about as fast as I can type it in english.

Sheesh! I gotta do something to have some fun around here. Can't dance the Jig nor the Rumba or the Mambo. How about square dance?

(LOL)