Disputes affect credit score??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mvfl, Apr 9, 2001.

1. mvfl

mvfl Guest

I got my score from Equifax a few weeks ago when they first offered it. At that time, I disputed 3 items on my report. They are still under investigation. Nothing else on my report has changed at all. However, my score went up by 64 points! Do you think the score is leaving off the items in dispute? I thought disputed items still counted in your score. Anyone know for sure??

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: Disputes affect credit sco

Don't quote me, but I think items in dispute are not counted, but I could be wrong, but I think Equifax may have mentioned that to me.

Mom

3. CD

CD Guest

I Agree With Mom...

Mvfl:
    Due to some subtle nuances of the FCRA disputes are generally thought of, from a collections perspective and (generally) otherwise, as (temporary) natural items.

Technically speaking (bearing in mind the CRAs donâ??t always follow the letter of the law), a reporting agent cannot diminish oneâ??s credit worthiness without merit. If there is some question of an aspect related to that credit worthiness scoring on disputed items could be viewed as false matter, actionable under FCRA.

The long and short of it isâ?¦ I agree with the spirit within MomOf3â??s post.

Keep The Faith,
    Anthony Villaseñor,
    CreditDefenses.com

4. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Re: I Agree With Mom...

If disputed items don't count toward FICO, then you could dispute every negative item on your record right before applying for a loan, mortgage, etc. Someone try it and let me know:)

Mike

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

yes dave I agree in regards to mortgages etc. If you are going for something that just goes by an instant score then it could work, but if they are going to look at your reports, even though the disputed item isn't factored into your scores, I would suspect that it will still be listed as "consumers disputes".

Interesting though I will try to find out of items disputed are still shown visible to creditors??

Mom

6. Tana

Tana Guest

Mike B,
    With mortages this won't work because the day of the closing the bank pulls all three reports again and if ANYTHING has changed the loan could be called off. More often they up your rate AT THE CLOSING TABLE while you sit there with your jaw hanging. Someone I know had their rate changed because they had charged a bunch of furniture for the house which changed their debt ratio etc. You guys probably have already discussed this. What I did was have a couple of mortage companies pull my merged report when I was toying with the idea of a house and you wouldn't believe what crawled out of the woodwork from many many years ago. It would probably be a good idea the year before you want a mortage to do this and see what comes up so you have time to deal with it.
    Tana