disputes online with Equifax?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Ender, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried doing disputes online with Equifax? How effective has this been? Or is it better to do disputes through mail? The last activities I have on my report are 1997. The SOL for CA is 4 years. I am disputing the following 3:

1) Judgement (under the public records section online)
    2) Cavalry Investments
    3) Coldata

All as not mine. The judgement was settled already and reported in 1998. The collection agency said that I need to dispute and they wouldn't respond to get it removed. The other two, I have no idea or ever heard of them.. I figured disputing these 3 items should be okay for first round? What has been everyone else's experience with this service?

2. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

RE: disputes online with Equif

I have entered disputes online in the past, however, I found that they take longer than the normal 30 day time and one was completely ignored. You limit yourself to the choices they offer as to why you are disputing. I personally think it's better to send it by mail.

As for the Judgement, they will likely check the public records for this. If it does not show on public records as "satisfied" they will not remove it. After a judgement is paid, you should require a "satisfaction of judgement" be filed with the court, otherwise the creditor may just conveniently forget to do so.

3. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

So regarding judgements then, once the creditor has filed it as "satisfied judgement", then will the CRA remove it or still keep it on there, but change it to satisfied? Do I then dispute the judgement as "not mine" or that it is "satisfied"? Won't having the judgement-satisfied still on the CR still be just as bad? Thanks..

4. river

river Well-Known Member

Ender,I disputed a "satisfied judgement" with Equifax around the end of last year/beginning of this year ,as "not mine". And my updated report came and it was deleted.First try.I did this with the other two CR's on same judgement and they were also deleted.Transunion and Eperian,I disputed over the phone.Actually ,I disputed the whole reports,from my name(misspelled),down to everything on them and was very surprized at was deleted 1st try and second & third re-investigations.Thought I would sit tight and "give it a break" for 6-9 months and start over again.I disputed with using only two phrases: "not mine" or "incorrect balances".Did not go into details on nothing.Less said,better off you are.

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I found it to be just as effective writing if not better. I had 3 student loan collections deleted the first time I tried it. It is all about the creditor not verifying the info. The online disputes cuts out the middle man and you are assured an Investigation because it basically starts electronically.

roni

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

You are right that it is limited. But you can find a way around that.

roni

7. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Is there any way to check the status of this dispute while it is going on online? Or do I need to just sit patiently and wait for the letter in the mail informing me of what happened? thanks..