Distrubing email RE: CRA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

My friend emailed this to me and I wanted to share it with you all

>Just wanted to let everyone know who hasn't already heard, the four major
    >credit bureaus in the US. will be allowed, starting
    >July 1, to release your credit info, mailing addresses, phone numbers.....
    >to anyone who requests it. If you would like to 'opt out' of this release of
    >info, you can call 1-888-567-8688. It only takes a couple of minutes to do,
    >and you can take care of anyone else in the household while making only one
    >call, you'll just need to know their social security number. Be sure to
    >listen closely, the first opt out is only for two years, make sure you wait
    >until they prompt you to press '3' on your keypad to opt out for good.

This is very distrubing to me because one, there aren't FOUR major bureaus, there are 3. Second, the CRAs have been selling names to creditors for a very very long time now. That's how we get those pre-approved offers in the mail, etc.

I told her to hold off doing this. This just doesn't sound right. I didn't call. I've been getting info in my bills regarding opting out from individual creditors but this just doesn't sit well with me. Just sharing.

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I think that's a scam for the reasons you've pointed out, Shantel.

:-(

3. SofaKing

SofaKing Well-Known Member

No need to worry, that is a valid opt-out number. It's the same as 1-888-5OPT-OUT.

The 4th CRA *may* be referring to ChexSystems. I believe they are a CRA by definition.

Also, the laws *did* change very recently. That's why we have all been getting those "privacy" notices. Basically, we are all opted-in until we tell them otherwise. Our info stored within their databases are treated as a company asset which can be bought and sold.

SofaKing

4. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

News Flash! I opted out a month and a half ago. Since then I've gotten more and better pre-approvals than before! I think these creditors are seeing you opt-out, have you in their database from previous PRM's and know that this is their last chance to market to you. Just a theory.

5. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

Dammit, that is terrible! Plus, I tried calling the number and its busy! ARGH!

6. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

I know that the 1-888-5optout number is valid and will take care of this problem for two years. This isnt anything new it has been your right for quite awhile now..

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

1-888-5optout

AS FAR AS I KNOW...THIS WILL KILL ANY CHANCE OF ANY PRE-APPROVALS, SOLICITATIONS, AND OFFERS TO APPLY...(EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT REALLY PRE-APPROVED)...THEY ARE OFFERS NOT AVAILABLE TO THE OPEN PUBLIC OFF THE STREET A LOT OF TIMES...

SOME PEOPLE LIKE THEM...

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I have been wondering about trying something with the optout manager. I am going to opt out on TU and Experian, opt in with Equifax.

My reasoning - I get great offers from Experian promo inquiries, (I an look at the inquiries on my report, and see which CRA the promo offer came from) but then when I accept they all pull Equifax for underwriting. Consequently, my Equifax report is the one loaded with inquiries. In the past 2 years I have 1 inquiry on TU, 1 on Experian, and 19 on Equifax .

Any observations?

breeze