ditching walmart car

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bfllover, Jul 25, 2001.

1. bfllover

bfllover Well-Known Member

I got a walmart card automatically because I had a balance on Montgomery Wards and I guess walmart was serviced by same bank--but I paid it off fast--you cannot make a payment at the store ,on the phone or online.So Iam cancelling Walmart,also getting rid of Penneys,macys,mervyns and only keeping Target Visa.Will it hurt my score to get rid of all store cards???

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

All you need is one store card...so they say...for F.I.C.O.

Just one question...WHY do you find it so objectionable to MAIL a payment???
    100% of your bills CAN NOT be paid on-line!!!

3. bfllover

not objectionable--but I do pay most bills online.I like having the instant printouts online available of my payments.

4. IncomeHelp

IncomeHelp Well-Known Member

I pay all my bills online with Wells Fargo Bill Payment Service. Does not matter who. Best thing since the food processer.

Note: I do not work for Wells Fargo and I don't get paid to endorse them. They just make my life much easier and my credit easier to keep clean.

That's my 2¢

John

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

F.Y.I. I think if you have the TARGET VISA...it is NOT a store card...it is a BANK CARD...

6. $wealth$

$wealth$ Well-Known Member

You have a Target Visa? I thought they weren't introducing this product until the fall.

How did you get one? Did you apply online or did they send you a pre-approved application? Are they generous with their credit limits? Are you satisfied with them? Can you express any concerns with this card?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am interested in obtaining this card since I already have their store card.

Thank you

7. bfllover

I have had my Target Visa for over a year--maybe it was started in certain states first?? I did not even ask for it.I had a reg target store charge card and received a notice that I was able to transfer the small balance I had at the time to their new Target Visa.I think the notice said do not respond if you want the visa sent.They started out with $2000 limit and soon sent me a notice for a raise to $3500 if I did a balance transfer with 8.9% interest on the transfer till it was paid off.Is it not a smart card feature for Target that may be intoduced in the fall.Anyways,the # on the back of my visa is 1-888-755-5856 It is a silver card with white and silver bullseyes on front and a visa logo on bottom right corner.I did a balance transfer--should get that paid off in a month or 2 and will see if they offer another increase then

8. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

Dang, I just cancelled my Target store card too, maybe I should have kept it

9. $wealth$

I just called the above referenced number to get more information on their Visa card product. The rep told me that they will have a "Roll Out" promotion in September & October to offer a Visa card to their current retail cardholders. Of course you have to be in good standing, and meet other criteria. I hope my account qualifies for this blitz. :)

Just thought you would like to know.

10. bfllover

I live in Az and like I said,have had the Target Visa for a year--so there must have been a couple of states where it was tested out first,prior to national release.I had had the Target store card for 4 years or so prior,in good standing with them.Do not know if they checked cras or not,but I had about 4 derogatories re 30 day lates on my reports,all 3.The coll account I have been posting about in other threads is my husbands.The derogs were from 4-5 years ago.

11. $wealth$

I'll just wait and see if they send an offer my way.

12. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

I spoke with them and they said that the Target Visa has only been available to 3 states nationwide. They are going to introduce to the rest of the country in September. She told me that regardless of your store card status, you have to apply for the Visa just like any other card. She said that those that were 'upgraded' were only in those 3 initial states.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Wow, that's the exact opposite of what a rep AND an article I read a month ago said to me. The rep said that the rollout would be to current target card holders in September and you would have to apply ONLY if you were not a current card holder. Also, I read a month ago that they were converting current Target guest cards to target visas. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.