Do I have to give TU copy of BK?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Micki1970, Aug 13, 2001.

  1. Micki1970

    Micki1970 Active Member

    I did an online dispute on 8/2 disputing several items. Some of which were included in a BK 7 almost 4 years ago, which they do not have listed at all. Today I get a letter, thank you for contact, BK stays on cr for 10 years- Blah-Blah-Blah.
    Then it goes on to say

    "To assist in our investigation, please forward to us copies of your BK papers, including a list of creditors"

    I really don't like that idea, do I have to do it? It seems to me that it would their job to investigate it, do a public record search and when something can't be verified- remove it. Am I correct? Or darn, do I have to send them (about 60 pages total in BK papers)
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Nave

    Nave Well-Known Member

    No! Absolutely not. Never do their work for them.


    GEORGE Well-Known Member

    DON'T YOU have to do the work for the won't get done if you don't do it for them!!!

    GEORGE Well-Known Member

    REPEAT...but a good idea...NEW type up your own CREDIT REPORT...sent it to the CRA'S, they have 30-60 days to dispute it...with written proof from the creditors...OR IT STAYS AS YOU WROTE IT...

  5. Nave

    Nave Well-Known Member

    That would throw the whole thing into a tizzy! Things would be DONE, quickly, and done CORRECTLY TOO! Well with a little bias for the guy with the white hat. :)

  6. dlo64

    dlo64 Well-Known Member

    Great idea, George! I think I ought to try it!

    I agree with the opinions above. Dispute and let the CRA's verify the info. Don't send in any papers to the CRA. If it is important and the creditors are not reporting correctly after a re-investigation through the CRA, try to contact the creditor and have them correctly report the account. Only do that if you really need to have it reported correctly.
  7. Micki1970

    Micki1970 Active Member

    Nave & George,
    You are both great! I didn't think that it sounded correct. I mean come on, I disputed- upheld my end. Now they want me to investigate it too? Well, that does make me feel better that I DON'T have to send it. So, should I just put it in the file I keep for TU and wait to see what happens with the dispute?
    I love the idea of writing our own! It feels like the creditor & cra has all the ammo and we get notta. Sometimes with these stinkin CRA's it feels like I am communicating with a rock, a very hard one. You should see my CR, it is a fricken riot. How stupid are these folks, how can account that was only opened at end of 1995 have 90+ day lates in early 1994? I have pointed this out to them 3 times in a year, and they just say that is the way that is is being verified.
    My fight continues!
    Thanks again.
  8. breeze

    breeze Well-Known Member

    Oh man! Do it! Send them a letter, tell them you have investigated everything for them, and this is your correct report! Then write it up the way you want it. ROFLMAO!! What a great idea!

  9. Micki1970

    Micki1970 Active Member

    I think if I ever get the balls to sue them, I will do just that. As part of the settlement, write what I want it to say! I mean come on, when EVER SINGLE item on the report is wrong, what do you do? Even the good ones are wrong, still good just wrong dates etc. My problem is, in the past I always worried about my husbands reports, as he was sole provider and never even started looking at mine until last October. Now that we are trying to build a house, I now see that mine is just as important as his.
    I'll get it, may take me awhile, but I will!
  10. newstdt

    newstdt Well-Known Member

    Just when I think I should maybe do one thing, I get turned around and think I should do the opposite. I just made photocopies of the "dispute Pages" from my Experian and TU. I also indicated the corrections on copies of my rpt that showed my accounts and I listed what should be corrected on them.

    My Bankruptcy is recent and most of the things are correct, except First USA (a visa and M/c) Discover and I think Citibank. They are reporting me with a bunch of lates from around the time I filed. Some say Included in Bk and some don't. Anyway, I highlighted and printed boldly and neatly and tried to make it very clear what needed to be fixed.

    I had planned to send a copy of my discharge notice and list of creditors. Should I just send the corrections I've notated? As they have other creditors listed correctly with the BK?

    I just don't know what to do now....I mean I want to do what will fix my report, but I also want to cover my hinney and have some sort of recourse. Any advice would be appreciated.

  11. breeze

    breeze Well-Known Member

    It's okay to mark up their report with your corrections and send it, but don't send your discharge papers with creditors listed. Never voluntarily give them information they don't already have. Kind of like the Miranda warning - anything you say can and will be used against you.

  12. G. Fisher

    G. Fisher Banned

    I'd watch playing around with the truth. If they deem your request frivolous, you may be ignored.

    From the FCRA:


    Determination that dispute is frivolous or irrelevant.
    (A) In general. Notwithstanding paragraph (1), a consumer re-
    porting agency may terminate a reinvestigation of informa-
    tion disputed by a consumer under that paragraph if the
    agency reasonably determines that the dispute by the con-
    sumer is frivolous or irrelevant, including by reason of a
    failure by a consumer to provide sufficient information to
    investigate the disputed information.


    But, if they don't correct your report within 30 days, sue them. The court will have to decide who was frivolous-- you or Trans Union.

    I believe the creditors were notified of the BK by the court. If that is true, then they bear the responsibility to report that to the bureaus-- though the bureaus bear the ultimate responsibility for getting it right.
  13. Micki1970

    Micki1970 Active Member

    I just went and pulled out my files from my first dispute from 9/2000. I am glad that I did. Now it has me wondering. On this old report, it shows my BK, now how the heck did that disappear in less than a year?
    I am so confused at how these jerks do this??? So, it appears that they removed the BK, however reinstated all discharged debt as late, del. or chargeoffs???? Any suggestions on how to attack this?
  14. G. Fisher

    G. Fisher Banned

    Don't try to make any sense of it. Here's the way it is:

    CREDITOR: Hey, bureau, give me a report about Micki1970.

    BUREAU: Here's yer report: 237 charged-off accounts.

    CREDITOR: Thanks. We'll deny the loan... HELLO CENTRAL? GIMME MICKI1970!


    MICKI1970: ... but that report is a lie. Those debts were discharged through bankruptcy.

    CREDITOR: Nuh-uh, liar-- they're charge-offs. Bureau said so.

    MICKI1970: Liar!? They're the liars!

    [meanwhile, at cocktail hour]

    BUREAU: Hee, hee. We get paid for this.

Share This Page