Do-Not-Call List, Bites Dust

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Butch, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

A Good Day for the Economy.

Court rules against do-not call registry

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

OKLAHOMA CITY
    -- A federal judge has ruled that the Federal Trade Commission overstepped its authority in creating a national do-not-call list against telemarketers.

The ruling came in a lawsuit brought by telemarketers who challenged the list, comprised of names of people who do not want to receive business solicitation calls. The immediate impact of Tuesday's ruling was not clear.

The list was to go into effect Oct. 1.

U.S. District Judge Lee R. West sided in favor of the plaintiffs, U.S. Security, Chartered Benefit Services Inc., Global Contact Services Inc., InfoCision Management Corp. and Direct Marketing Association Inc.

The telemarketing industry estimates that the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.

More than a dozen state with do-not-call lists plan to add their lists to the national registry this summer, the FTC said.

Telemarketers would have to check the list every three months to see who doesn't want to be called. Those who call listed people could be fined up to $11,000 for each violation.

2. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

A bad day for personal privacy :(

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Do you think there will be any appeal?

Can we get a group together to try to get Congress to pass a LAW setting it up?

It looks like the ruling was on the basis that the FTC overstepped its bounds.

Of course, if Congress tried to pass such a law, they'd be heavily lobbied by the telemarketers. We would all have to make our voices heard to our LOCAL representatives that we have the POWER (VOTE) and this is what we want.

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I just read another article. It says Congress did give approval for the FTC to do this.

An FTC official has declined to comment until they have time to review the ruling.

Lawmakers are criticizing the court's decision, saying they gave approval for this list.

Here's a quote:

"We are confident this ruling will be overturned and the nearly 50 million Americans who have signed up for the do-not-call list will remain free from unwanted telemarketing calls in the privacy of their own homes," Reps. Billy Tauzin and John Dingell said in a statement.

So, maybe we're not dead yet.

5. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Yeah Hedwig, unfortunately it will be overturned.
    (In case ya couldn't tell I'm not in favor of this list)

But it may delay everything for Gawd knows how long.

I just don't believe the economy needs a $300 Billion hit right now.

Maybe in 5 years.

JMHO

Where's that article?

6. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

BTW - the Foxy Mrs. Butch got one of those "Tele Zappers".

Works great.

7. gretchen

gretchen Well-Known Member

Bummer... One would think the $2.50 a month I pay extra to the phone company to be unlisted would be sufficient.

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I found it on Yahoo! Don't know how long they keep them, but here's the link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/nm/20030924/tc_nm/telecom_telemarketing_dc.

I don't really care about the list myself. I got my current mortgage through a "cold call." In this case, it was one where they leave a recorded message.

I just don't answer the phone between 8 AM and 9 PM until someone starts to leave a message, then if I want to talk I'll pick it up. Otherwise, that's what answering machines are for. I realize that it's a legitimate business. In fact, for a while I was in a business (part-time) where I made cold calls. I wasn't a telemarketer, and I probably didn't always obey the laws. But they don't teach you that part.

9. gretchen

I do not understand why telemarketers are allowed to call a private phone line. Why call it private then? I could see if it was business line...

I use to just keep the ringer off. I no longer can do that. I cannot screen with an answering machine while I am sleeping. The phone ringer needs to be on in case of emergency.

The calls have lessened since I signed up. One though I asked why he was calling me because my name was on the list. He apologized and ended the call.

I recall in the past around Christmas time ATT TMs hounding me every week asking me the same personal questions, etc. I even begged them crying to stop calling me and explained that I was very sick. That did not stop them. Finally, when I was feeling better I called the phone company. They said they would change my phone number. Usually the phone company charges 20 dollars they did it for free. Thank you.

Looks like I am going to have to change it again to get off the Do-Not-Call list I also signed up for.

Oh well,, I should have figured if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

This has no effect on machine dialers so it don't work on them

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

11. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Any law that can easily be shown to dramatically cut profitability and revenue to an entire section of the industry will probably be squashed anyway. If it goes to appeal and is re-instated the industry which has hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue at stake will appeal it further, get an injunction while in appeal, and eventually it will take an act of congress to get it passed into law, and the lobbyists will be able to throw SO MUCH money to the congressmen to get enough votes to squash it.

The best way for "We the People" to get rid of annoying telemarketer calls is to sign up for a Telemarketer Call Screening type of service from our phone company. The company I work for will play the announcement "The number you have dialed does not accept calls from telemarketers. If you are a tekemarketer, put this number on your do not call list and hang up now, otherwise press 1 or stay on the line to connect." Any call that will not show up on my Caller ID goes to that, and I have Selective Call Rejection which will allow me to block individual numbers that call me, so if a CA were to start calling me, I can reject every telephone number they have.

I oppose the law, but not for reasons of the national economy. I know how much money we had to spend at my phone company to get the equipment and software to allow this telemarketer call screening feature, and I hope the DO Not Call list stays away long enough for us to at least make the money back.

ChrisB

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SORRY!!! NO TELEMARKETER USE THE PHONE BOOK!!!!

YOU PAY $2.50/MONTH...EVERY MONTH TO SAVE THE PHONE COMPANY INK???

I use CALLER ID...

DIAL TONE
    BEEP BEEP
    DIAL TONE

NO PRIVATE NAME/PRIVATE NUMBER CALLS RING YOUR PHONE!!!

There is a MORE EXPENSIVE one that also blocks OUT OF AREA CALLS/UNKNOWN---tells them to imput their phone number (I DON'T NEED THAT)

I helps a lot...

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THE COMPUTER DIALS THE NUMBERS!!!!

238-0001
    238-0002
    238-0003
    238-0004
    238-9999

234-0001
    234-0002

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

That's true--they don't use phone books or listings. They have machines which take an area code and three-digit exchange and start with 0000 and go through 9999, dialing each number in turn. My second line is not listed in the phone book (it's not an unlisted number, they just don't list the second one) and I get calls on it. Of course, no one knows that number, so I just never answer it.

If you already signed up for the "Do Not Call" list, it isn't effective until October 1st anyway.

And, there's an exception for 1) charitable organizations, 2) political organizations and candidates, and 3) any company that you do business with.

I know a lot of people who said they had signed up so they should never get another call. I always told them that based on reasons 1-3 above, I would have to still screen calls. Those three categories are the most prevalent anyway. So, I figured why bother to sign up. I still need to screen calls.

15. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I guess GEORGE said the same thing I did while I was typing!

16. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Guess I'm just going to have to use my old telemarketer-mind-fu*king techniques again.

How about it everyone - how about we all post our favorite telemarketer tormenting techniques? I'll start it.

My favorite is cursing ane screaming at them till THEY hang up. It's illegal to SEND an obscene phonre call, not illegal to RECIEVE one.

Next on line is to play along with them and make them start tehir spiel all over again a dozen times asking the dumbest questions along the way.

I love magazine telemarketers, they always swear they have just the magazines I like to read, even if I just made up the titles. "Pedophile Daily? Sure, we have that." "Pervert Gazette? No problem." "Chicken Plucker News? Sure we have that."

Another thing I like to do is order everything they have and then have them ship it to a local prison.

When politicals call, I tell them I'm a convicted felon and can't vote, but for the right fee I can assassinate their opponent.

17. gretchen

I get it. It's similar to the robots and crawlers the spammers use for the internet.

Thanks, George I'll look into those options.

I was thinking of getting a cell phone. But then I thought Oh great, I can look forward to paying for the TMs robotic calls.

I was also thinking that the 2.50 a month may be contributing to keeping the CAs from calling me. I have only received letters never phone calls.

But the more I read, the more I see that I WANT them to call to catch them harrasing me if I get so lucky. heh Or, so I think.

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites Dust

and I get calls on it. Of course, no one knows that number, so I just never answer it.

One of my cashiers has DIAL-UP at home and the second line is ONLY FOR THE COMPUTER...HE ANSWERS THE PHONE WITH---"YOU GOT THE WRONG NUMBER"

They say I'm lookin' for XXXXX ---"YOU GOT THE WRONG NUMBER"

They call back------"YOU GOT THE WRONG NUMBER"

THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!!!
    :)

19. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

One thing is to ask them to hold on because someone is at the door. Then lay the phone down and go do whatever you want to do.

I have a friend that is in a business that sells phone service. So he starts asking them about phone service and trying to sell HIS product to THEM.

Pick up on something they mention and chat about it. Like if they say something about family, start telling them about your family. Ask questions that they need to answer so they get drawn into a conversation.

It wasn't a telemarketer, but I did something similar with a Citi CSR after she had answered my questions. I found out what kind of people they hire, the work ethic, Citi's pension plan, and all kinds of things.

20. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Hedwig - you're too nice to them.

The only conversations I would get a telemarketer incolved in revolve around what they are wearing, what their sex fantasies are and similar sordid topics.