Do-Not-Call List, Bites Dust

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Butch, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

That's what my second line is--a computer line. For a while it rang every morning right after 8 o'clock. I did finally answer it one morning when I was in a foul mood. I basically answered with "Who are you and how did you get this number?" The lady who called asked for a name, I told her it wasn't that person and that my number wasn't listed. She apologized, said it was the number she was given and never called again.

I bet someone made up a number for a bill collector or something.

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

They aren't allowed to telemarket a cell phone. I think they know which exchanges are assigned to cell carriers.

Anyway, the law says they can't call if you have to pay for the call. So if you ever get a telemarketer on your cell phone, tell them it's a cell phone and you have to pay for minutes, and if they call again you'll report them.

I think it's a pretty hefty fine.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I like the idea of talking about what they're wearing, etc., but that's not my thing. I don't know if I could pull it off.

Maybe one of the differences between women and men.

4. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites Dust

Are you kidding???? Damn, if I was a woman I'd make every male telemarketer think he called a phone sex number!!! I'd turn it on so thick he'd be useless for the rest of the day.

5. gretchen

gretchen Well-Known Member

Good to know about the cellphone lines! Thanks, Hedwig

Flyingifr,

lol, If granted, you would be quickly changing your tune to:

"Damn, if I were a hermaphrodite I'd..." :p

6. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

It does make you wonder whether the court actually reads the laws that they are supposed to enforce...

47 USC Sec. 227
    (c) Protection of subscriber privacy rights
    (3) Use of database permitted

The regulations required by paragraph (2) may require the establishment and operation of a single national database to compile a list of telephone numbers of residential subscribers who object to receiving telephone solicitations, and to make that compiled list and parts thereof available for purchase. If the Commission determines to require such a database, such regulations shall -

(F) prohibit any person from making or transmitting a telephone solicitation to the telephone number of any subscriber included in such database;

And gee, this is the same provision that has been on the books since 1991, when SPAMFORD WALLACE decided to start telefaxing unsolicited ads; and stops telemarketers from calling to your cell phone or pager...

BTW: the penalty for each violation of 47 USC Sec. 227 is actual damages, or up to $500; with treble damages for willfull and knowing violation. Just like the FDCPA, FCRA, this is designed for you to sue them for the damages... The gov't can sue as well, but the penalty above is for private rights of action.

(3) Private right of action

A person or entity may, if otherwise permitted by the laws or rules of court of a State, bring in an appropriate court of that State -

(A) an action based on a violation of this subsection or the regulations prescribed under this subsection to enjoin such violation,

(B) an action to recover for actual monetary loss from such a violation, or to receive $500 in damages for each such violation, whichever is greater, or

(C) both such actions.

If the court finds that the defendant willfully or knowingly violated this subsection or the regulations prescribed under this subsection, the court may, in its discretion, increase the amount of the award to an amount equal to not more than 3 times the amount available under subparagraph (B) of this paragraph.

7. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

I have anonymous call reject on my main phone number. If I don't see a name and number on my caller id you get voice mail. My voice mail says: "You have reached xxx-xxx-xxx, no one is availabel to take your call at this time. Leave your first and last name, the company you represent if applicable, the name of the person you are trying to reach, and a message. Failure to provide all of the information required will result in your message being deleted and your call will not be returned. Friends and family can just leave a message." I don't get messages anymore. :) My friends and family HANG UP before the message, cause it's so long, knowing that I will call them back or they call me on my cell.

My second line has just plain caller id and is unlisted. If I don't see the name of someone I recognize it rings until they go away.

Of course, Colorado does have a no call list, and the AGO takes them to court after three complaints.

I knew a guy who's answering machin message was "Hi. This is X. Leave a message. If you're from the government or a business F-OFF, I won't talk to you!" Of course he was old and cantankerous.

I like the Do-Not-Call Lists. I signed up for Colorado's the day I was able to and was glad when I heard about a national one. If they want to spam me with their offers they can mail it to me so I can fuel my fireplace in the fall and winter... at least I get some use out of it then :)

8. Flyingifr

Re: Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites Dust

A lot of people agree with you.

If you assume an average household size of 2.4 people, and 50 million phone numbers are in the Do Not Call Database already that comes up to almost HALF the population of the country. (2.4 times 50 million numbers registered divided by 280 million, the population of the country, is 43% of the population of the country already signed up).

43% of the population of the country signed up for the Do Not Call list in 2 months. The only other way people would line up that fast for something is if they were giving away $100 bills.

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I still like this one best

http://www.send4fun.com/telephone.htm

10. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites Dus

The cell phone carriers will "Own" exchanges; however, in the more rural areas they can't afford to buy out an entire block of 10,000 phone numbers so they will buy blocks of numbers from the local telephone carriers. There is no national database that will give you what blocks are owned by cellular carriers. If you live rurally, find out if your local phone company has any blocks that they've sold to Cellular companies. Then get a cell phone with that exchange, and put that cell number as your "Home Number" in such a way that the CA's will now have this number.

Let a CA that you owe $$$ to harass you with a call, note the time and date of the call, don't inform them that they called you on your cell, and then when your cell phone bill comes in showing a charge of airtime, sue them for calling you to collect for a debt, which resulted in a charge to your phone bill.

What do you think?

If anybody out here has a Cell and wants to know if it's owned by the cellular carrier you can let me know it's NPA-NXX (first 6 digits of the 10 digit phone number, often known of as area code and exchange) and I can post who owns it. I work for the tel. co and have access to the national database on exchanges.

ChrisB

11. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Thanx Chris,

That could come in handy.

Isn't online somewhere?

:)

12. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites

Not online anywhere, it's a subscription basis where I get a trueing of the entire thing, then monthly what's been added, removed, or changed. I think we're paying about $1500 a year for monthly updates and semi-annual truing. I wrote some scripts to sort and clean up the data, then import it into an Access Database. There used to be some free info that could be found online, but they've removed everything that was free about a year ago.

Less accurate info is readily available online, like what Area Code / Exchange belongs to what named exchange, but they won't let you know the owner of the data.

13. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

September 25, 2003 â?? WASHINGTON â?? Lawmakers are moving swiftly to defend the popular national do-not-call list from a court ruling that may jeopardize the promise of peace and quiet for people fed up with telemarketers.

The Senate and House were expected to consider legislation today that would ensure the free government service goes into effect as scheduled next week, deflecting unwanted sales pitches to more than 50 million registered phone numbers.

A flood of congressional proposals defending the list came only hours after an announcement Wednesday that a federal judge in Oklahoma City had ruled the Federal Trade Commission overstepped its authority by creating the registry. Telemarketers who sued to block the list stopped short of declaring victory because there was uncertainty about how the ruling would affect the FTC's plans.

Consumers may continue signing up for the list despite the ruling, FTC spokeswoman Cathy MacFarlane said.

For this complete story, please visit Favorable Ruling for Telemarketers Mobilizes Congress to Save DNC List.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Consitution

14. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Butch,

Actually I just found what could be the information online, I checked a few known codes to check. The first is an pretty much easy to use put in the area code (called NPA) and exchange (called NXX) and click the Lookup button. The second link is to where you can download current data from the North American Numbering Plan Administration (the organization that assigns the exchanges to the companies that wish to have service and phone numbers in an area.

http://puck.nether.net/npa-nxx/

http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/co_code_assignments1.html

Hope these help anyone and everyone. It will also let you, if a CA calls you up and has their caller ID info displayed, to see exactly where they are quite quickly. This will allow you this one thing. I live in a 1 party state for the wiretap laws to record a telephone call. If a CA were to call me, and the caller ID indicates that they are from one of the other one party states, I can take the recording of the call and know it was within the law.

ChrisB

15. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Oh that's great Chris, good job.

Might help us track some of these people down.

:)

16. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

17. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Yes, the first ruling was that the FTC didn't have authority to do this. That is what Congress fixed yesterday. This new one is based on free speech. It is thought by several Constitutional lawyers that this ruling may hold up. One of the problems is that it exempted charities, political calls, polls and companies you do business with. So the logic is that if they can call and other telemarketers can't, their free speech is being abridged. Another argument, I don't know if it's in this case or not, is restraint of trade. Same basic principle, some can do it and some can't.

If it was a REAL do not call list, it would be on firmer grounds.

I don't know what will happen next Wednesday, which is when the list was supposed to be effective.

18. Flyingifr

If they have a Constitutional right to take up my time with their damned telemarketing calls then I assert I have a Constitutional right to charge them for it. I will not accept any telemarketing call unless the telemarketer first provides me with a valid credit card number so I can charge. As an Accountant, I charge by the hour, to the nearest 5 minute increment. Now... start talking.

19. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I like that!!

That's the other side of the argument. That we have a right to privacy, and the phone is in our home, so their calls are invading the privacy of our homes.

As I said before, I just screen calls and don't answer until I know it's someone I want to talk to . I don't have caller ID. It's the principle--why should I have to pay the phone company for it? I can screen for free.