Do-Not-Call List, Bites Dust

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Butch, Sep 24, 2003.

1. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites

Unfortunately that's not why the court is invoking the free speech issue. The court is complaining that the Do Not Call list will still allow certain people to telemarket (charities, churches, researchers, and politicians) while denying others (businesses) that same speech. The court is maintaining that you can't allow one type of telemarketer that speech while censoring another. If the Do Not Call list prohibited ALL telemarketers equally, then the court would have no problem with it from the "freedom of speech" perspective. I can't imagine politicians agreeing to legislation that would limit THEM from calling us during election cycles, so this is going to be a tough legal fight.

Doc

P.S. Hedwig, if the issue was simply whether or not we have a right to privacy in our homes, it would be a lot simpler. Of course we do. The court is saying you can't be selective about free speech rights -- either somebody is allowed to talk, or they aren't, but you can't discriminate against telemarketers depending upon whether they represent a church, charity, politico, or business, treating one type differently than another. Frankly I wish they would ban them all from bothering me, but I doubt that will happen.

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

If you note my post before that, I said that the free speech issue was because some organizations were exempt.

The later post was just the other side of the argument from some people, which they think applies no matter what.

I agree with you, but I still don't care if they call, I just won't answer the phone.

3. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

Yeah, no pols, no charities, no churches, no researchers. Just don't call me, I'll be happy. I hang up on em all if they manage to get through.

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Of course - CALIFORNIA has already put forward a bill to allow the DO NOT CALL LIST to be allowed under STATE MANDATE.

So this continues to evolve - but I will say, nothing has irritated me more than this bullshit stall tactics.
    AND yes, can the charity and political calls too.

dogman

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Just send me a CASHIERS CHECK (2 weeks in advance) for $100 per day that you want to be on my OK TO CALL LIST

More than one company can take me up on my offer...BUT YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR OWN $100 FEE PER DAY...

I do have an answering machine for when I'm at work if you like to leave messages...

Your time starts at 9am and ends at 9pm...

COMPANY NAME
    YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME
    COMPANY PHONE NUMBER
    STREET ADDRESS
    CITY
    STATE
    ZIP+4
    WHAT YOUR SELLING
    PRICE OF WHAT YOUR SELLING

SORRY...no refunds if I fail to return your call...I do promise to listen to the phone call though...

6. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites

Of course you're right -- sorry, I was sloppy when I read through this thread -- you are right on.

Our problem is that we pretty much just answer the phone without thinking just like back in the good old days. I guess we'll need to get with the program and start screening calls one way or another. :(

Doc

7. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do-Not-Call List, Bites

You guys might like this study by EPIC.

http://www.epic.org/privacy/telemarketing/tcpacomments.html

Before the
    Federal Communications Commission
    Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of
    Rules and Regulations Implementing the
    Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991

CG Docket No. 02-278

COMMENTS OF

The Electronic Privacy Information Center; J. C. Pierce, Director, the Consumer Task Force for Automotive Issues; Remar Sutton; Consumer Action; Privacy Rights Clearinghouse; Consumer Federation of America; International Union, UAW; Free Congress Foundation; Junkbusters Corp.; Consumer Project on Technology; Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility; and Private Citizen Inc.

December 9, 2002

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

: Do-Not-Call List, Bites

ONE OF THE 2 JUDGES IS ON THE DO NOT CALL LIST!!!

JUDGE SPEAKS WITH FORKED TONGUE

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

lbrown59,

Your link is invalid. It takes you to a compuserve sign-on page. I assume this means you have to be a compuserve member to see it.

11. lbrown59

Re: : Do-Not-Call List, Bites

That may be so.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ONE OF THE 2 JUDGES IS ON THE DO NOT CALL LIST!!!

JUDGE SPEAKS WITH FORKED TONGUE

WORTH REPEATING

13. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Quick solution - some states, like MA, have a do not call registry.

Here's the Creditnet Active Approach. Keep a pad by the phone you usually answer. As soon as you realize it's a telemarketing call, write down the date/time. Ask them for the company's name - not the client, the telemarketing company and get their address/phone info. Then tell them to place you on their do not call list.

If you have gotten a call from them before and it's more than 30 days, you can collect $500 for reporting them. Now here's where I get fuzzy, but I think it's the FTC you report this to. All you need are the two date/times and the name of the company.

But since I signed up for the MA registry, only got one call. That was a "randomly generated" number from a polling organization. This guy assured me it was not a commercial call, so it didn't have to observe the do not call registry.

Ahh, so you're not getting paid to talk to me? Well, yes, he admitted he was getting paid. I told him the minute he figures out how I can also get paid so we balance out the inequity, I would be delighted to speak with him. Click!

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

FCC TO ENFORCE NO-CALL LIST...TODAYS PAPER...ABOVE THE FOLD

15. lbrown59

As for the do not call list, here's a little excerpt for your enjoyment:

Quote:
    Not sure if it was printed in other newspapers....so just in case it wasn't...or you missed it....Taken from an article in the Northwestern (newspaper where I live) written by Dave Barry on Sunday

I've been writing columns for a long time now, two or three centuries at least. I've written on topics that touched a nerve amoung you readers - the moronic-TV-commercials nerve, the loud-cell-phone-talkers nerve, and of course the low-flow-toilet nerve. I even touched - and I regret this deeply - the Barry Manilow nerve.

But I've NEVER touched a nerve like the one I touched when I wrote about telemarketers. To review: In August, I wrote a column about the National Do Not Call Registry, which allows you to go to an internet site (www.donotcall.gov) and register your phone number. The plan is that most telemarketers would then be prohibited from calling you.

The Do Not Call Registry is wildly popular with the human public. More than 50 million households have signed up. This displeases the telemarketing industry, which believes it has a constitutional right to call people who do not want to be called. Several telemarketing groups have filed lawsuits to block the registry.

So in my August column, I printed the toll-free number of one of these groups, the American Teleservices Association. My thinking was: Hey, if the ATA feels its members have a constitutional right to call you, then sure the ATA feels that you have an equally constitutional right to call the ATA.

Well...

It turned out that a LOT of you were eager to call up the telemarketing industry. Thousands and thousands of you called the ATA. I found out about this when I saw an article in the direct-marking newspaper, the DM News, which quoted the executive director of the ATA, Tim Searcy. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"The ATA received no warning about the article from Barry or anyone connected with him, Searcy said...the Barry column has had harmful consequences for the ATA, Searcy said. An ATA staffer has spent about five hours a day for the past six days monitoring the voice mail and clearing out messages."

That's correct: The ATA received NO WARNING that it was going to get unwanted calls! Not only that, but these unwanted calls were an INCONVENIENCE for the ATA, and WASTED THE ATA'S TIME!

I just hope nobody interrupted the ATA's dinner.

Anyway, you can immagine how I felt. I would have called the ATA myself to express my feelings, but the ATA finally had to disconnect it's phone number. Really.

I myself received approximately seven billion phone calls, letters and e-mails on this topic. About 99 percent came from consumers who are wildly enthusiastic about the idea of calling telemarketers.

Many of these consumers wanted me to publish more telemarketers' numbers, including residential numbers.

The other 1 percent of the response came from people in the telemarketing industry, who pointed out that I am evil vermin scum, and - even worse - a member of the news media. Their main arguments are that (a) telemarketers are hardworking people, and (b) if they're not allowed to call people who don't want to be called, telemarketing jobs could be lost, and the U.S. economy would suffer.

It appears that the telemarketers okab ti cibtubye tgeur effirts ti save the planet by fighting for the right to call people who do not want to be called.

I realize that this makes many of you angry. I realize that many of you would like to, once again, let the telemarketers know how you feel. And I am, frankly, tempted to reveal to you here that the American Teleservices Association (Web site www.ataconnect.org) seems to have a phone line working (at least for now) at 317-816-9336.

But would it be right to reveal this? I mean, yes, you could call the ATA again. But the ATA surely doesn't WANT you to call again. It's inconvenient! And to insist on calling somebody who doesn't want to be called, even if you have the legal right to call well, that's just plain rude.

So I am taking the high road.

16. lbrown59

Duplicate removed

17. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Statistics have already demonstrated that the same people who "don't want to be called" purchase on an average of 3 items per year, AS A RESULT OF AN UNANNOUNCED TELEMARKETING CALL.

LOL

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MY PARENTS AND MY FAMILY HAVE NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING FROM A PHONE ADVERTISEMENT (COLD CALL)

19. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Where's this guy buying 1500 items a year from telemarketers to make up that statistic for me and the 500 people I'm related too that I know have never and will never buy anything from telemarketers?

If the statistic says that the people who "Don't want to be called" purchase an average of 3 items per year, that means if 90% of the people who "Don't want to be called" don't purchase anything, all of other 10% purchase 30 items each year. That's very hard to believe. Besides, most of us who are on the Do Not Call List currently either let all telemarketer calls go to our answering machine, or pick up the phone and say "Not interested, put me on your do not call list" and hang up.

I think your statistic was one of those created by the Telemarketing firms in their attempts to halt the national list.

ChrisB

20. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Re: Re: : Do-Not-Call List, Bites

lol

Ya gotta good point there Chris.

:)