Does contact w/CA re-age account?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by 3dayevntr, Aug 27, 2003.

1. 3dayevntr

3dayevntr Well-Known Member

I found the following on the creditwrench site. Is this true? By contacting a CA about a collection account, the account is re-aged (changed the date of last activity) to the date of that contact? If you send a dispute letter, does this re-age the account as well. From what I have read I didn't think so. I thought making a payment would re-age, but not just making contact regarding the account.
    I would appreciate the facts regarding this.
    Thanks,
    K

"My husband had an old hospital account that was several months away from being 7 years old. In trying to refinance our loan last year, I called the collection company trying to find out info about the account. I never made payment arrangements and in fact the collection agent told me in not so many words that the account would in fact drop off my report in several months. They have since changed the "date of last activity" to the date that I made this phone call causing the account not to drop off his report until 6 years from now. My questions...

* Does making a phone call (even if we did not make a payment arragement) constitute a change in the "date of last activity?"

*Does the fact that I inquired about the account instead of my husband let him off the hook if the above answer to the question is "yes"?

*Would my course of action be to write the credit bureaus and ask for proof for the change in the "last activity date"?

Thank you for taking the time to answer this. -sheila

wallbreaker
    (8/23/03 7:40 am)
    Reply OOPS!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, your call changed the date of activity. In order for the stat. bar., their must be no contact, nor any payments. And even though it was not your husband who called, you were speaking on his behalf. Depending on how many collection agencies had the file though, it may not matter. If it's the 3 agency, chances are they will close the file anyway. "

2. tryinhard

tryinhard Well-Known Member

I never heard of calling/writing about an account to be grounds for re-aging an account, only payments to the account would constitute the re-age an account, date of last activity=last payment recvd.

This is what I always understood.....anyone else??

3. gonzo

gonzo Well-Known Member

I would agree.
    date of last activity=last payment recvd.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I never heard of calling/writing about an account to be grounds for re-aging an account, only payments to the account would constitute the re-age an account, date of last activity=last payment recvd.
    This is what I always understood.....anyone else??
    tryinhard

I would agree.
    date of last activity=last payment recvd.
    gonzo

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Making a payment to a CA does not restart the 7 year clock so most certainly contacting them does not!

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

5. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

lbrown is absolutely correct. Paying on a charged off or collection acct does NOT restart the 7 year reporting period. And talking to a ca most certainly does not.

6. tryinhard

I was always under the assumption as soon as you made a payment of any kind that restarts the clock, the 7 yr clock, actually I did read it somewhere before I found this site. I would appreciate it if you could quote where you found that information, thanks

7. pd11604

pd11604 Well-Known Member

I believe that even if you make a payment, but never bring the account current, the original 7 yr clock keeps ticking - check the FDCPA!

8. pd11604

pd11604 Well-Known Member

thanks jlynn for clarification!

9. tryinhard

Thanks Jlynn, I did read that and it refers to charge offs, but active collections is what I was refering to. But now I am questioning that too, Isnt it true when there is an active collection account, making a payment will re-age the account? This is what I meant, sorry for any confusion, I read the post to quickly and didnt realize it was a charge-off.

10. lbrown59

Isnt it true when there is an active collection account, making a payment will re-age the account?
    tryinhard
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

11. lbrown59

* 1*Does making a phone call (even if we did not make a payment arrangement) constitute a change in the "date of last activity?"
    *Does the fact that I inquired about the account instead of my husband let him off the hook if the above answer to the question is "yes"?
    sheila
    ================
    NO A 1000 Times NO.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59""""```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

Subject: Said It Better Than I could
    The Ten Commandments display was removed Wednesday from the Alabama Supreme Court building.
    There was a good reason for the move.
    You can't post Thou Shalt Not Steal in a building full of Lawyers and
    Politicians without creating a hostile work environment.
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---- >>