Does NextCard verify?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JB, Mar 27, 2001.

1. JB

JB Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago, I applied online was approved for a NextCard Visa. At the end of the application, where the final terms were given and I had to click that I agree, it mentioned that a customer representative "MAY" (their word) contact in the next few days to verify my information.

I don't have a problem with them verifying. I just wondered if this is common. If they call I hope they call me at home, my employer gets pissed when he has to answer questions about employees or when employees have personal calls at work. I don't want to rock the boat at work.

So, I have been hanging out at home waiting for the darn phone call, trying to stay off the computer as much as possible to keep the phone line open. What happens and they call and I am not home or the line is busy? How much followup on this do they do? I was only awarded the NextCard Standard Visa for $1000 credit so it is not like I am any big time account.
    Thanks!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I NEVER HAVE BEEN CALLED BY ANY CREDIT CARD COMPANY SINCE 1978...but others have been...even asked EVERY question on the application again...

They should NOT call you a work...it is a no-no in many businesses except for emergencies...

3. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I just got NextCard...they haven't called me, and they made transfers and I have my card.

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I think they called you at home to verify some imformation before they sent out the card two years ago. They left a message to call him back.

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

They tried to verify me, but they must have used an outside agency that did not identify themselves as "Next Card" when they called. I did get a couple of calls at home and at work asking personal information but I declined to give any both times.

I checked the status of my application on-line, and it said they were unable to verify my information and I would get instructions in the mail about what to do next. I called them and asked if I had to wait for the thing in the mail, and they said "no". They asked me a couple of questions about the information in my application and then sent me my card.

6. JB

JB Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! So basically, they may call or they may not. But if they do call and I miss them, not all is lost and I probably will be able to get my card. That is good.

I just wish they would call tonight and get it over with.
    Or I wish there was an 800 number I could call and talk to a representative.

Does anyone know their customer representative number? NextCard gave me an account number and expiration date. It is for a temporary card.

7. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

The number on the back of mine is 877-897-9102.

8. JB

JB Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave!

Thanks Dave! If I don't hear from them tonight, maybe I will consider calling them tomorrow and then the verification can take place.

Do you know if an 877 area code is toll free? Just curious

9. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks Dave!

Yep. 800, 866 and 877 are toll-free.

10. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Oops.. 888 is too.

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY RAN OUT OF 800#'S...

12. JB

JB Well-Known Member

Attention Dave!

I just called the number you gave me. It said to talk to a customer representative may cost me money!! What the heck is that about? I have never heard of a company charging to talk to a rep.

It said "There may be a charge to talk with a live representative". So I hung up and have been wondering how much they charge.

Do you know anything about this?
    Thanks

13. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: Attention Dave!

I don't know anything about that. If they are going to verify you and can't reach you they will post the number they want you to call on-line when you go to check the status of your application.

I got my card AND the mailing asking me to verify information with my phone bill on the same day because I called them right away when the on-line status said they needed me to call.

14. JB

JB Well-Known Member

just got verified

I decided to go to the My.NextCard.com website and look around for another customer service number. I found one
    (1-888-974-2265)that is 24 hour service.

I called the number and there was no mention of a charge. The rep transfered me over to verification and I gave the guy my social security number and he said okay, that the computer was showing that the card had already gone to "booking" (whatever that means) and I should have it in 5-10 days. It was already approved. I asked again if he needed me to verify anything and he said no, it was all taken care of when he pulled up my record.

I am glad that is taken care of! And glad I found a free customer service number too.

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: just got verified

JB, Did you call their customer serivice number 888-9742265?
    As far as I knew they don't charge to talk to customer service for help. I have had their card for two years and I talked to them for numerous times including lowering my interest rate to 9.9% and increase my limit to $9800. They haven't charged me a cent to my account. It is new to me. I looked at my card agreement and there is nothing about talking to customer service charge. It is supposed to be free to all Nextcard cardholders.