DOFD and Accurate Reporting California Account Services

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Michael Lee, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Michael Lee

Michael Lee New Member

Hi,

I'm trying to understand and determine two things

1. My Date of First Delinquency
    2. Accurate reporting for my credit
    A company call California Account Services is reporting a debt from my old dentist. Its been 11 years since I saw the dentist. To make a long story short, he had an accountant that was embezzling money and he claimed that his new accounting showed we owed $1200.00 in services from almost 4 years after the service. We obviously told him that was ridiculous and would not pay him a dime because we had always paid our bills on time. Fast forward and this company California Account Services sent a collection letter back in 2012 which we told them we did not owe. They have been dinging our credit score monthly by increasing the balance monthly. Each time they do this our scores get knocked down by 5 points or more.

The debt is almost 14 years old can they report it the way they doing it? Can they keep reporting negatively on a monthly basis by increasing the balance. The interest is up to $600.00

How do we combat this and get it off our credit?

Thanks!

2. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Date of First Delinquency should be consistent as the first payment that was missed.

The reporting period of 7 years is based off of the Date of First Delinquency.

So, if the account is truly that old, the account should be off of your credit report.

Here's how *I* would handle it.

1) Demand validation; (a) if it is that old, the odds are they won't have the documentation, but if they do, they'll be confirming the DoFD, which is what you want. :)
    2) As soon as they've received the validation request, dispute the tradeline to the the credit reporting agencies that they've been reporting to. Use the specific dispute "Incorrect Date of First Delinquency; OBSOLETE ACCOUNT REPORTING" this sets up the specific dispute, should you need to escalate the process. :)

Wait 30 days for the CRAs to finish their dispute, if they verify, and the CA didn't validate, I would send a letter to the CA that I intend to sue them for violating both the FDCPA ($1,000) and FCRA ($100-$1,000 per credit report that they verified).

Now, they owe me more money than I allegedly owe them, or their account is deleted, which is what I really wanted. :)