Don't wait to lower that APR

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Desdemona, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Desdemona

Desdemona Well-Known Member

I've been listening to this board and it has paid off for me.
    I went through a couple rounds of disputes with the CRA's and cleaned up my reports and received some "pre-approved" CC offers in Jan 01. I held on to them for a few weeks while I lowered my debt to income ratio (Christmas 00) on the cards I have now and got brave last Thursday night and applied for the Citibank Platinum Select. (One of the offers I received in the mail.)
    They offered online approval so I thought it would less painful if I applied online rather then wait for snail mail. My mail offer was for 1.9% on balance transfers and 14.99% on purchases. Online I was approved for $2000 credit limit (yeah!!) when I did my balance transfer I received $1500 more in my credit line. I transferred $2300 to pay off my Providian leaving me with $1200 open credit.
    I received my transfer check on March 1st, sent off my check to Providian and received my card last night. I printed off my approval from online outlining my terms. My online approval was for an APR of 20.9% by when I received my card my terms were changed to 22.9%. I called Citibank and pointed out the error and before I even made a single payment I got the APR lowered to 15.49%. Unbelievable. She could not offer me the 14.99% or the 1.9% that I received in the mail because I applied online had I mailed in the offer I could have had the 1.9% but I was very happy with she gave me. The difference between 1.9% and 2.9% on a $2300 is only $25. I can live with that.
    I plan to call in a month to see if I can get it lower more. Donâ??t wait to call to get that APR lowered. Trust me what do you have to lose.

2. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

Re: Don't wait to lower that A

Did you call Citibank to get 1500 line increase ? Thanks.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

yah let us know. How did you get a $1500 increase so quickly. Did it give it to you online?

4. Shell

Shell Guest

I think since he wanted to transfer 2300 and they intially offered him a 2k line, that is where the extra 1500 comes in??

5. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

I know Discover and Nextcard will increase your intial credit line if you transfer balance from other cards.

6. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

My credit card goal is to get (I know might sound silly)A discover and sears card. Sears sent my husband a pre approved thing last month but I don't think they would have actually given us the card--discover did that once to me and it really bummed me out.
    Anyone know if I can get one of the two with having paid charge offs?? And one settled CC?

7. Desdemona

Desdemona Well-Known Member

How I got the extra $1500

Hi all

OK there is what I did. Applied online for the Citi Platinum Select. Once approved I received an initial credit line of $2000 with an APR of 21.90% on purchases, and a balance transfer APR of 2.9% for 9 months. I clicked â??accept this offerâ? and was forwarded to Transfer Balances page. I inputted that I wanted $2300 for my balance transfer it then brought me to a finishing page. Right then and there was an increased credit line initial of $5000 with a *. (small print) *You may receive a Credit Line as high as this amount if you choose to make a balance transfer. Actual Credit Line may vary dependent upon the sum of balance transfers requested.
    I clicked finished and received the following â??You have been approved for a Platinum account with a Credit Line of $3500.â? The balance transfer had a fee of $29.
    When I received the card in the mail last night, I called because my online paperwork said 21.9% and the cardâ??s paperwork said 22.9%. I still had my offer that came in snail mail with an APR of 14.99% and told the rep I was offered 14.99% in the mail but did not want to wait for snail mail and applied online. She said let me see about the APR and said I canâ??t get you 14.99% how about 15.49%. I said ok. While I was doing the happy dance, she said that she couldnâ??t lower the 2.9% I said I could live with that. She then tried to sell me the crock and choke insurance I decline, she told me to have a good night. Not one single payment, canâ??t wait to use it next month. (I was told it would not take effect till the next billing cycle.)

PS. My Aria Portrait just arrive today, canâ??t wait to call them to see what I can get out of them.

8. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Re: How I got the extra $1500

WOW! you've had great results! I just got a $1000.00 increase from citi (regular card I've had forver) but my interest is atrocious from being just a little late--I tried for a line increase in Dec (online also) and was turned down flat--since my interest is SO high (like 24) should I call them, ask for a bigger increase and lower APR? Even tho I just got the line increase a couple days ago?
    Will they go for a balance transfer if it's from another card of theirs????? or does it matter where the transfer is coming from?

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: How I got the extra $1500

ask for apr reduction first.

increases are handled by a separate department.

APR is handled by retention.