Duplicate Accounts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by 7th of 7th, Mar 7, 2001.

1. 7th of 7th

7th of 7th Guest

Does anyone have a letter they can recommend sending to creditors for removing duplicate accounts? I have a couple accounts that have been sold and even though the old account says balance is zero, how do you get them to remove them?

2. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

I don't have a letter but I have had success using the phrase...

" Only one company can own the debt at a time. Only that company has the right to report the debt to the credit agencies"

My duplication was where the cc bank merged with another bank and it still listed the old account with the old large balance under the old name... as well as the new name. This seems to work. I also called the old company and had them get on the phone with me and someone from the new company (conference call) and they soon realized that it was still reporting in error. Between a call from the old company stating they didn't own the debt anymore and my dispute letter the duplication came off.

Mine was a problem since they were showing a balance. Is is hurting you to have it still listed? If it says zero balance, having the trade line might help. Especially if it's an older one.

J

3. MBA/MBA999

MBA/MBA999 Guest

Who is the company that entered the account for the second time?