Duplicate Collection Accounts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by David, Apr 21, 2001.

1. David

David Well-Known Member

I recently discovered that Sprint (whom I used for long distance for a few months) turned over a $68 bill to not one, but two collection agencies. Technically, I don't dispute the $68; I refused to pay it and switched to another carrier because my "dime-a-minute" ended up at 25 cents per minute, and I essentially told them to stick it in their ear.

Well, two years later, I go to refi the mortgage, and my score is suffering from two derogs--for the same $68.

Common sense tells me that this isn't legal.

If it were, then why couldn't I tell all my creditors to report all the good stuff twice, and blow my FICO/Beacon score throught the roof.

But, I digress.

What is the quickest method to pay the damn $68 to Sprint, and get both collection derogs off? (Both report on Experian, only one reports on Equifaxt, and I'm unsure of Trans Union).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Re: Duplicate Collection Accou

Is Sprint on your CR as well? Did you ever sign a contract with Sprint? If you have the information of the 2 collection agencies, send them the validation letters that have been posted on here in the past.. then also write a letter to the CR and dispute those 2 items. You can either dispute as "duplicates" and have them take one off - or do other types of disputes to get both removed... or you can have the CA remove them.

If Sprint doesn't appear on the CR, once you have the 2 CA removed from the CR - then you can safely pay Sprint..