Employment Apps--Need Advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by GoreyGirl, Aug 13, 2003.

1. GoreyGirl

GoreyGirl Well-Known Member

My husband's job was eliminated in a cost saving measure. He is filling out apps like crazy but every one of them is asking for permission to pull his credit reports. This is potentially devastating since our BK 7 was just discharged 4/29/03.

I was on the FCRA/FTC commission site reading letters and answers from the FTC from employers about how far can they go in eliminating candidates/promotional prospects using these reports. The info was depressing. One employer said if they get 50 apps for a position, they immediately throw out any that show a BK.(more then one wrote this). Another said they automatically deny promotions based on credit scores).

The government reply? It's perfectly OK to do this. Seems that having a low score and/or BK makes you an untrustworthy, low-life, BAD person.

If hubby does not sign for permission to pull a report (and the pulls will all appear on his credit reports) that will immediately raise a red flag. If he does, they will all see his BK.

Any advice? We will be out on the street, it will only be a matter of time. Please post any experiences, suggestions, advice etc.

Thanks.

2. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I honestly don't have an answer for you.

But I applied for a job two years ago and they did pull my cr. I had a bk-13 from 1996 listed and the inquiry was a hard one.

I did get the job so my employer was not concern about the bk, actually I don't even know if my employer saw the report or just got a summary report from the firm that conducted the hiring process.

Best regards,
    Mirage

3. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

I filed BK 7 in 1991, discharged in 5/92. It has been over 10 yrs now so it's not on my report.

But in 1993 I applied at Barnett Bank (now bank of america) for a job. Of course being a bank they asked to pull my credit. I thought immediately "OH NO...they won't employ me with the BK on there!" So, what I did was I told the HR lady right away I have some problems on my credit, I have a discharged BK 7 from 1992, etc....She really liked me being upfront and she still put me thru the interviews and testing. I GOT the job too! I worked there for 3 yrs and then went into insurance claims and have been doing that since 97.

I think the best thing to do is to be honest. Tell the recruiter up front that you have a BK and ask what they think. Some say "no way, you can't have the job!" others will really appreciate your honesty.

Don't assume one company throws them away that another one will too. Just tell him to hang in there and to emphasis his great qualities from his past jobs (IE dependability, honesty, etc....).

I wish you both the best :)

4. GoreyGirl

Mirage-I appreciate your words of support. My husband is so very worried over this I'm afraid for his health.

iambroke-You are right of course. Besides, the main reasons for the BK, my disability and caring for my invalid mother for 8 months, are understandable ones especially in the medical field. Of course, the actual most devastating events--being taken in by not 1 but 3 predatory lenders who milked us of our last cent--might not be the right thing to say. (we take perverse satisfaction in the fact that one lender declared bankruptcy and the other has had to make a huge nationwide settlement, although that is just a slap on the wrist to them).

Problem is, these are all paper apps and he doesn't get to talk to a real person until and if he makes the cut. And according to the letters I read from employers, many don't even bother to look past the credit report. So the important thing is to get to speak to a person.

Thank you, I am passing on the two emails to him in hopes it will lift his spirits. I appreciate the concern shown by both of you and will keep you posted, though it will probably be a while until we hear something either way.

5. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

You never told us the results of the credit report that they pulled.

Was it a standard CR from one of the CRA's, or was it something that a third-party firm put together for them (similar to a RMCA) where they get info from more than just the CRA?

If not the latter, then your BK should not/would not have shown up. 10 years from date of discharge, the CH7 should have been gone.

6. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

I don't recall being it was many years ago. They did tell me my chp 7 was on it.

But the main point is I told them I had a bankruptcy on my report so they already knew anyways before even pulling my credit.

7. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I agree that being upfront is the way to go. You can even get hired for many positions that require a security clearance if you have a BK--AS LONG AS you're honest about it. It's the hiding something that bothers many of them. And if you explain that it's medical related, that goes a long way with many people.

Maybe he wants to mention it in a letter if they want this before they talk to him.

And remember, that site may be like many. The ones that really use that information post comments there, but many others don't.

What kind of position is he looking for? It may be a field where they don't mind as much, but asking for permission is on all the apps. I think if they want to pull credit for some jobs, they have to request permission from everyone. They may decide not to.

8. GoreyGirl

He is an LPN. At least he doesn't work with accounting or in the banking industry. You're right it may not matter all that much.

Now it's no worries since so far we haven't heard from anyone just yet.

If someone replies, I'll write what happened re: the BK. Really think we are beginning to lose more and more of our privacy in this society. It's getting scary.