"Enrolled" in Cobalt

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Killer, Nov 18, 2000.

1. Killer

Killer Guest

Notice I said "enrolled" not "applied". I failed to see how one applies for a check
    card where one spends his own money! The site says you are enrolling. That's deceptive! No you are applying because I believe they are doing a credit check!

Cobalt has made me a little angry! Their site gives the impression that "enrolling" is 1-2-3. It says you give your information (including very private info like SSN;why do they need your SSN for a check card?). Next you attach a funding source (your checking acct).Through that source you provide a minimum of $20. Then they send you a card. Sounds simple and the site makes it sound that way. Well after giving my information I get a message that my "APPLICATION" is being processed! I wasn't applying for credit but enrolling as the site calls it! I didn't want to apply for credit! I don't want another inquiry and I didn't think I was allowing a credit check. I should have known that they were doing a credit check when they ask for SSN! To make it worse, the message said it could up to 2 weeks to process! What happened to simple as 1-2-3!

OK all of you who have this card. Tell me the scoop. How long does it really take? Did they do a credit check? If these people actually turn me down I am going raise HELL!

2. TommyC

TommyC Guest

RE: "Enrolled" in Co

Hi Killer,
    I also "enrolled" for the Cobalt Card, about four weeks ago now and whenever I log in to the site, it tells me that my application is still being processed. Also, about one week ago, they debited $20.00 from my checking account. Apparently, it takes much longer than a couple of weeks to get the card. Anyone out there have the Cobalt Card? Just curious....Thanks, TommyC

3. Eboni

Eboni Guest

My opinion

It's not worth it. The card isn't like Visa where it would be widley acceptected. American Express was offering Disposible Americna Express cards, like Travelers checks in the same denominations last year. I'd get that first.

4. TommyC

TommyC Guest

RE: My opinion

This may be true Eboni, but I was considering the information that is required for the account, and the eventual issuance of the Cobalt Card, could very well be American Express's "revised" (with the Secured Optima introduced first and then new applications no longer accepted) entry into the "subprime" market. It was stated that earlier that AmEx will be introducing their new secured credit product around the 1st quarter of 2001. So, maybe, just maybe, AmEx will send those who are Cobalt Card applicants/holders, an invitation for their new secured product debuting in the 1st quarter of 2001? For those of us, who would like to carry an AmEx product, this is an exciting time, as creditors, reevaluate their acceptance guidelines, in order to squeeze more profits out of their product offerings. Just my thinking and comments welcome, TommyC

5. Killer

Killer Guest

Hey I just thought about it! It never asked for my checking account number! When do I get to attach a funding source? Tommy when did you have a chance to give them your account number?

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

When I enrolled, it never asked me for my checking account stuff either?

7. TommyC

TommyC Guest

I apologize Killer, MP$40 and the board. You are right. The Cobalt Card didn't ask for my checking account information, M2Card did. The evening I filled out the application online, I was filling out the M2Card and Ecount forms too and keep getting interupted by the emergency room staff and had to keep going back online to complete my application. The $20.00 debit was M2Card. TommyC

8. niecy25

niecy25 Well-Known Member

What is a M2 card????

9. TommyC

TommyC Guest

Hi Niecy,
    The M2 Card is a pre-paid debit card that has the Visa logo it. I applied for the Chevron gas card about 45 days ago and never heard from them, and to best of my recollection, never received a denial letter either. So, I thought that I would get a pre-paid Visa card to use as a gas card and to shop online, rather than using one of my credit cards for shopping online. The M2 Card (www.m2card.com) also comes with points that you can accumulate when you shop online. Interesting debit card, I thought, so I signed up for it. Best wishes, TommyC

10. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Call Chevron!

Tommy,

Same thing happened to me. I just called them and said: "Hey....I applied for the card on xx date and I called to check the status of my app and they told me that I was approved for the credit builders program and that I should be receiving something in the mail and I haven't seen anything yet?" The rep then stated, "Oh.....o.k. well let me resend that stuff to you". I got the paper work like 3 days later and sent it back w/ the $35 fee. The card came like almost 3 weeks later!

Just call 1 (800) free-app and ask them the status of your application. They might give you a different non toll free number to call.....I can't remember.

11. Killer

Killer Guest

Called 1-888-353-5884 and spoke a very nice lady. She stated that Cobalt was launched on 10/11/00 and the response was too much for them to handle. She stated that the system was designed to enroll people within hours. A computer software problem coupled with an overwhelming response has held things up. She stated that they hope to have everyone processed within the next 2 weeks but currently no one is being processed.

12. Killer

Killer Guest

Oh I forgot. She stated that absolutely no credit check will be ran on enrollees. She stated that they use some sort of data systems company to verify SSN and address. If they can't verify, they contact the enrollee for assistance. I specifically ask her would I get an inquiry from the credit bureaus and she said no.