Equifax (CSC) and address disputes

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Linda, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is a new procedure or not for Equifax (at least the one in Texas) but ...

Yesterday morning I called Equifax to dispute the only two old/former addresses on my report. The rep said they'd do an investigation and they'd let me know the results when the investigation was completed. I didn't really think much of it because how can they verify old addresses??

Well, I just found. There was an Equifax credit watch alert in my mailbox this morning. I checked to see what the alert was for and it shows four accounts that I did not ask to be reinvestigated are now in dispute. Two are bad/old charged off accounts and two are good/current accounts. So, I called right away to find out why they were being investigated.

The rep said when someone disputes an address they're required to send out an address verification form to at least four creditors on the report. If any of them say they did send bills to that address then the address will remain. She did make a point to say that the accounts themselves were not in dispute. And all this time I thought they just deleted old addresses on people's say so.

2. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Wow. Around the end of last year, I pulled equifax. The personal information that they had entered for me, including addresses, was just fraught with mistakes and old, old addresses (like my parents address-where I haven't lived in 13 years). other mistakes included misspelling of my first and last name, and an employer that I had not worked for since 1996.

I mailed them a copy of my drivers license, and a recent utlity bill. I listed the correct addresses where I had lived, and when I had lived there. They deleted all (correct and incorrect) with the exception of my last prior address. This included accurate addresses from about 7+ years ago.

When I disputed this, I just wrote a letter detailing where the mistakes were. And this was CSC too.

It seems to me that the CBs have all of these "rigorous" standards when dealing with the creditors, but when it comes to dealing with the consumers, anything goes.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOU MUST REMEMBER, THEY DON'T WORK FOR YOU...

TOO BAD IT IS THAT WAY...

4. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Sorry, George, but I don't understand what you're saying. Who doesn't work for who (and who said anyting about anybody working for anybody?) and what do you mean by "Too bad it is that way"?

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It seems to me that the CBs have all of these "rigorous" standards when dealing with the
    creditors, but when it comes to dealing with the consumers, anything goes.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CREDIT REPORTING AGENCIES DON'T WORK FOR YOU...THAT'S ALL (SEE ABOVE).