Equifax/Disputing = Higher FICO?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!

I've been ghost and lurking for a while. Been really busy w/ kids and work.

So, what I want to know (and I think? this was covered before but a search did me no good) is when you are disputing something on Equifax and the item is in dispute status, is it temporarily not viewable by someone that you are applying for credit with? Is it true that the disputed item is NOT factored into your FICO score, hence giving you a higher *fake* score? Anyone care to elaborate on this?

A month ago I learned that Target was now pulling Equifax and since it's my best report, I applied and was approved for $200! What was even more baffling was the fact that I just got through paying a $300 chargeoff from them in January (I made payments to their internal collections). And that wasn't the icing on the cake, I just recently disputed the paid chargeoff and it was DELETED! :-D

As you all may know, I am not w/ my boyfriend anymore and I took myself off as AU on his Gold Am/Ex! :-( It is now my sole mission at the moment to obtain my own Gold card. Last time I applied, they sited 8 negatives on Equifax. I have now gotten that down to 4 in 2 months. Of the 4, one was recently just added! It was a collection from Risk Management Alternatives for a MCI bill that I have NO CLUE about...and to top it off, the SOL is up!! When I first received a notice from them, I disputed ASAP! They never responded and put this on my file anyway! :-( I am disputing this w/ Equifax as we speak. Another collection is being removed because I'm paying the original creditor in exchange for deletion. The other 2 negatives that are left are a paid auto chargoff (Ford F'n Credit...it's due to fall off in Feb anyway) w/ I9 status and a paid student loan collection w/ I5 status (I had 2 others but Junum got them off...this one for some odd reason keeps getting verified). Both of these are also being disputed. I anticipate that I should have a clean Equifax no later than August...which at that time, I'll apply for Am/Ex. My inquiries at that point will be 3 in six months.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do about Risk Management Alternatives, feel free to let'er rip! Any other comments are appreciated as well.

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey MP,

While items are being disputed they are still visible to the creditor, but it will saying consumer disputes or item being investigated, however they are not factored into your scores. This atleast was the case with my hubby during mortgage time, the lender saw the item and the notation it was being disputed however none of his scoring factors indicated the delinquency and his score while being in dispute, 632, without dispute 577 those A$$holes. Also an EQ rep told me they are not factored into the scores but our viewable.

3. prideluv

prideluv Member

My daughters is having hers disputed now. They mixed up my info with hers. Although it now shows the entries are in dispute, her score has not changed. Nor has mine.

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Are these negatives items, or just accounts being mixed up????

5. prideluv

prideluv Member

They put my name on her ss number and then reported 3 of my paid collection accounts on her report. Then everything else is correct on her report.