Equifax - DTC code?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by zcraws33, Oct 11, 2001.

1. zcraws33

zcraws33 Well-Known Member

I just pulled my equifax report..and in the inquiry section, it shows:

10/8/01 DTC- nations bank

Does anyone know what this DTC coding means?

Tia

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I had the same notation on my Equifax report when I ordered a Skytel pager. I did NOT even authorize them to check my credit. As a matter of fact....I never even gave them my SSN!

I hope DTC means that it was a soft inquiry???

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY DON'T NEED YOUR SS#
    DID YOU PAY IN FULL?

4. Cadillac408

I know they don't need my SSN......no I didn't pay in full. I was paying monthly. I only had the pager for a short time, then gave it to my neighbor who couldn't get it in her name (Ch 13 BK). On the transfer forms is says that your credit will be pulled. It was a Motorola Timeport 2-way pager. I got rid of it cause it was too bulky and it didn't do what I wanted. I'm waiting for this new toy to come out:

http://www.motorola.com/MIMS/MSPG/Products/Two-way/accompli009/

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but a DTC, I was told, has a negative connotation.

when I had an issue with a major bank, they looked into my credit with a DTC code. I was told it was a collection code.

I don't know what DTC stands for, but it was used by a collection law firm here in atlanta.

I was told by an Equifax employee "Oh, someone is looking for you" when she looked at this type of entry. I also got 3 in a row so it really sucked the score down nicely.

and, I do know it is a HARD inquiry.

Call tomorrow and ask Equifax what DTC means. Now I'm curious what it stands for... and to get a real answer you may have to ask a supervisor. The average rep knows nada.

6. mglanham

mglanham Well-Known Member

i just got my EQ report and i have a DTC from Citibank. I don't owe anyone anything.....this really pisses me off. I will be calling tomorrow.

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

You know, come to think of it, my AMEX MB issue inquiry showed DTC and I stated over and over that it was a collection inquiry and Amex agreed, apologized, and removed it.

I had no credit accounts with them, just a money market account.

sometimes I wonder if their collection employees go poking into credit for god knows what reasons.

So again, I know not what DTC means, but I have always been told it has a negative impact and that it is a hard inquiry.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SCENARIO...

MARY SMITH IN LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA OWES $50,000 TO A CREDIT CARD COMPANY...nobody can find her...

So a CA decides to "DTC" EVERYBODY in the greater LA area...or even the whole state...or even EVERYBODY in the USA that has the name MARY SMITH???

9. Cadillac408

O.k. I guess I'm cool now. Just got an updated copy of my Equifax report and the DTC - Skytel inquiry is gone! :)

DTC inquiries must not stay on that long because it was on the report I got 6/25/01 but on any reports after that it was gone. The original inquiry was placed 8/10/00.

10. zcraws33

zcraws33 Well-Known Member

I HATE calling Equifax. Might have to tommorrow...but
    I did a search for "nationsbank" ...
    Bank of America came up...

I applied online 10/8/01 for a checking account with them. (Bank of America)

I am thinking this is their inquiry. I did call them and they did tell me they do pull your credit file, before opening an account.

I checked EXP & TU today also, and there are no inquiries from Bank of America.

This MUST be their inquiry.

I also did a search for "DTC" on this board...and messages from a few others indicated this might be a soft inquiry....

In light of the information from Marie, I think I will just call Equifax to confirm tommorrow....

11. kustomkat

kustomkat Well-Known Member

I hate equifax inquires... You cant tell what is what...
    I have True link showing up as a hard inquiry when I ordered a 3 in 1 credit report... instead of showing up as a credit disclosure...

Not to mention I have 30 PRMs in the last 6 months even though I sent them an opt out letter...

ugh.

Kev

12. Maurice

Maurice Well-Known Member

DTC = "Direct to Consumer." They are NOT collection inquiries, and they DO NOT lower your score -- at least according to Equifax.

Such inquiries often are placed by utility companies when you apply for service.

13. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Sure. That's why a law firm that does only collection work uses a DTC notation.

I don't buy the equifax explanation. If it's just for utility companies and the like, why would AMEX MB use it too?

That doesn't even make any sense.

14. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

I would agree. I have a DTC code from american express centurion on 9/20/01. I think DTC isn't necessarily a negative thing. But just another tool for the CA to use.

The reason why I don't think it's bad is because I am in good standing with amex, I have the gold card, small business gold and a LOC. That DTC inquiry came around the time I applied for my LOC and if I remember right the LOC is issued by Centurion.

15. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I would normally agree with you.. .but I had a big issue with Amex MB and spoke, for 2 months, to a supervisor who spoke directly with their credit bureau supervisor.

I talked to her and wrote/ faxed letters demanding the DTC removal because of its negative effect and because there was no permissible purpose... I had no derog credit with them.

Now, at any time in that 2 months of heavy conversations she, I'm sure, would've told me if:
    1. it wasn't a collection notation
    2. it had no negative effect (soft inq)
    3. they had permissible purpose simply because I have a membership banking account with them

Instead, I got apologies, a promise to remove it, a confirmation to remove it in writing, another letter from their credit department removing it...

She told me it could have meant to be a soft inquiry but somehow their system screwed it up and put a dtc instead... they were concerned it had affected other people and not just me. perhaps it has.

And, If it was a Nonissue.. then Amex's actions would make no sense.

So, bluntly put, who am I going to believe? Amex or Equifax? Amex.

I don't have one on my report anymore, but you could call Equifax and ask if it's "above or below the line". That'll tell whether or not it's hard or soft.

they don't see our inquiries as mixed like we do.

16. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

FK - you are about to be F**Ked by a collection agency.

17. Maurice

Maurice Well-Known Member

Marie:

I never said DTC inquiries were just for utility companies and the like; I said utility companies often use DTC inquiries. This is an important distinction.

I humbly submit the logic you're espousing in this thread is, well, illogical. Your Amex argument is a red herring. It's like saying water is the proximate cause of fires because it's present at every fire scene.

Why don't you just call Equifax and ask themwhat DTC stands for and whether DTC inquiries affect credit scores? Please post the response you get.

Yes, CA's pull a bunch of crap. Perhaps they even pull DTC inquiries. But if Equifax is telling me the truth, DTC's don't count as hard inquiries and aren't worked into the scoring model.

I'll admit there'd be a problem if the CA's inquiry (or law firm's or anybody's) said DTC and "collection purpose."

18. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Calling Equifax and asking for the truth is like calling the fox and asking if he ate the chickens while he was guarding the chickenhouse. why bother? You still think you're getting the truth?

Ok, I pulled out my file.

DTC-Mann, Bracken, Layng and Kn MANN
    FK-Mann, Bracken, Layng & Knezo MN BR LNG
    DTC-Mann, Bracken, Layng and Kn MANN

DTC-American Express Centurian Bnk AMER EXPR

I was told by a partner an MBLK that all their inquiries on my report were hard and collection in notation. 2 of them were DTC. 1 was FK. All 3 were eventually removed.

And with regards to Amex MB, I was TOLD by a supervisor that they were sorry for the derogatory effect on my file due to their erroneous DTC inquiry.

Now, if it either was a SOFT inquiry or a non-collection inquiry, there would be NO effect (we are told).

So, that means several things could be happening here.

Amex MB lied to me, the inquiry really didn't hurt me at all, but a supervisor and their credit reporting unit have NO clue what they're doing and spent their time and energy requesting a DTC be removed from my report just for the fun of it. twice. It took 2 mos for Equifax to respond and remove it. After all, they have nothing better to do. I guess MBLK falls in the same category, especially since they are a collection law firm.

or...

Amex MB DTC inquiry is soft and non-collection in nature but they know something we don't, and that is that soft inquiries hurt us too. Therefore, since they couldn't justify its existence, they removed it knowing soft inquiries have an effect on our scores.

But keep in mind, I have an AMEX MB account, and it was new. So it would have been very easy for them to tell me it was soft, permissible, and ok to be on my report and to take a hike. But they didn't. They took the longer route and removed it. Hmmm. wonder why.

So, either Amex did that work for the fun of it, MBLK too, or they have a negative effect.

As for calling Equifax, I have no DTC inquiries on my reports. I am simply pointing out that perhaps there is a negative effect of DTCs that the board isn't aware of as of yet.

Either way, it affects me not one bit. I am passing on my experience in the intent that it will help board members increase their scores. I have 2 sources that have not only stated that DTCs are derogatory in nature but also removed the inquiries off my reports.

By the way, if Equifax says DTC means "Direct to Consumer" why are firms seeing these types of reports?

Sounds more like DTC would be used if we got a copy of our own report...

Hmmm. logic huh.

19. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

I have one of those also from mbna. doesn't seem to affect me attaining credit.

20. mglanham

mglanham Well-Known Member

I called Citibank and Equifax concerning the DTC, both said they don't affect credit score. Just got off the phone with both of them. I have a DTC on my report for signing up for a service from Citibank similiar to paypal. Forgot what it was called. Anyway, just thought i'd fill the board in on what I heard.