Equifax - DTC code?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by zcraws33, Oct 11, 2001.

1. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

And I emailed equifax and told them to explain also.

But I don't think DTC, or FK in my case is effecting me negatively.

2. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly (from a while ago).....

F meant Collection,Repo, or write-off, and then it would be followed by another letter showing the type.

I think?????
    FK and/or FZ was a collection agency/firm
    FQ was a finance company
    FN was a credit card company
    FM was a doctor or hospital

I am pretty sure these were standard 'hard' inquiries as they were an attempt to collect a debt.

Anything that started with an 'A' was an 'automated' request, like an 'Account Review', etc. These are supposed to be soft inquiries.

Anything that started with an 'I' was an 'indirect' request, like an Insurance company. These were requests that made a decision based on credit information but were not actually issuing credit themsleves.

Standard inquiries showed up with a "C" beside them on our reports, showing 'credit check', but for some reason the 'c' is not on our consumer reports.

I know that if I pull my credit at the dealership I get more info than if I get my consumer copy. There are many more 'soft' inquires on the dealership copy than on my consumer one.

Maybe I can find some of my old lists and get some more for you.

DTC is direct to consumer. That is right. It is used (at least one use) to verify ID, etc, like if you were to sign up for a service. DTC is 'supposed' to be just an 'ID' check, no financial info is passed.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

nice info. thanks :)

4. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

thanks shawn for the info. so do you think DTC is a hard or a soft inquiry?

5. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Well, I think DTC is a 'soft' inquiry. The weird thing about DTC is the time factor. I thought inquires last 24 months, period. The reason for this is 'supposed' to be that a credit 'score' is supposed to be a mathematical probability of how you will 'perform' over the next 24 months. The report is a 'snapshot' of your present performance, the 'score' is a prediction of how you will 'perform' the next two years, and the inquiries show how you tried to get credit the past two years.

However, DTC inquires do not seem to be adhering to that rule. I received a DTC inquiry for Yahoo Bill pay to 'verify' my identity, but it dropped off in less than 45 days on it's own. I did not dispute that inquiry. Since DTC inquires don't (are not supposed too) pass financial information, they really would not fit into the score model. However, I think it is a good idea for them to appear for a short time as they good be a good indicator of identity theft if to many happened in a given time.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

6. Maurice

Maurice Well-Known Member

Great info, Shawn. Thanks. I was a little worried that this thread was creating paranoia where none should exist.

Mo

7. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

8. jambe

jambe Well-Known Member

How in the heck are soft inquiries showing up on a lender credit report?!