Equifax Inquiries

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Hal, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Any suggestions or success on disputing inquiries on Equifax? I notice it cannot be done online.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Not online, not on phone, not on letter, not on planetfeedback, not at all.... :( Been there, tried that!

3. Om

Om Well-Known Member

Are you serious? If you are, that is complete bullshit! How can a company report something that could/does have a negative impact on your credit score and not give you the opportunity to dispute or question it's validity?

-Om

4. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

That is what I was afraid of. It is really annoying me as I applied for a Sallie Mae loan for IT training through a computer training school.

I made it very clear to the financial representative I only wanted to apply via Sallie Mae as I did not feel with my credit difficulties anyone else would consider me.

They sent it to Sallie Mae, Household, Key Bank, Synovus - all declined. This gave me 3 inquiries I did not want nor authorize.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

I totally agree that's BS! I have tried and they will not budge on that issue. I'm sure if someone writes a threatening letter, or serves them with papers they probably would do it for you. But I would think that this is illegal because inquiries fall under the same FCRA that everything else does on a CR. So why wouldn't this be illegal? Any insights or anyone else threaten them and get inquires deleted?

---> Zaphod ;')

6. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

You can get inquiries you truly didn't authorize OFF of Equifax. I did. What it takes, however, is a lot of perserverance. You have to get the companies who pulled them to write a letter directing Equifax to remove. They must send the letter directly to Equifax on their letterhead and also send you a copy. They must include their subscriber #. You may have to enlighten them that what they did by pulling your file without your consent was illegal.

Equifax will refuse, at first. You must then insist, insist, insist that they be removed, that your rights are being violated, blah, blah, blah. In my case Equifax kept saying inquiries are a matter of "fact" and I kept having to quote the FCRA to them. After MUCH pushing and a slew of letters via fax (basically giving them a choice to remove or we can have a Judge sort it out for us). I think the whole process took me about 6 wks to accomplish.

Good Luck,
    Mist