Equifax problem again

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Karen, May 29, 2001.

1. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

Before I discovered this discussion site, I had a chargeoff with a creditor. It was sent to a collection agency. I agreed verbally to pay the collection agency in full with penalties with the agreement that there would be no negative entry on my credit reports.

The collection agency, not the creditor, reported it anyway. The original creditor agreed that they would remove all negatives and sent me a letter to that effect. I sent it to all three CRA's who removed all negative references to this loan. The collection agency basically said drop dead - we have your money.

The whole process took about four months. Now I find out that the CA has reported it again to all three CRA's. Do I just call the CRA's and tell them that it was resolved already or do I start the whole process over again? I can see this repeating itself over and over. Part of the delay stems from the fact that it takes Experion about two months to send me a copy of my credit report.

How do I deal with the collection agency to stop them from reporting it again?

I need to buy a new car in a few months and need to get this corrected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Incidently, the lesson here is to get it in writing when you are dealing with these slime balls.

2. Kay

Kay Member

I am having the same problem and do not want to start over again with the dispute process. Someone must have an answer. Please help!

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

A few questions.

Did they original creditor sell this account to them or were they collecting on their behalf??

What exactly is the collection agency reporting on your reports, a paid charge off??

4. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

The CA was acting as a collection agency. They did not buy the account.

The CA is reporting is it as a default. They do not indicate it was paid off in December. They also report it as over 90 days past due with no indication it was paid off. It appears to someone reading my credit report that the account has defaulted, been turned over to a collection agency, and has never been paid.

The point is that the creditor agreed to do the right thing - remove all negative references from my credit report, just as the CA promised would be done. Now the CA is messing it up again.

Thanks for any help.

5. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer but I decided to bump you to the top so some of the people who look here in the evenings can have a chance to answer.

6. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Do you have letters from the CRA's saying they investigated and deleted it the FIRST time?? If you have that letter you are fine. It was not clear from your posting how the CA had it right before but now are screwing you up.

7. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

All you have to do is send a letter to the CA (don't dispute it again) demainding deletion. Add these points in your letter. 1. They are not the orginial account holder (send a copy that shows the bill has been paid) 2. Nor are they authorized agent to collect the debt. INCLUDE ... You are demanding deletion from all three CRA's or you will report them to the FDCRA.

I hope this helps...!!

MartysGirl

8. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Who is the FDCRA?

The recurring theme of wanting credit reports to reflect something that never happened is pervasive in this forum. What's the rationale? Does anybody see it as skewing the credit reporting system and decreasing its credibility-- or, am I just naive to the way things really work?

9. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

You and me both Greg Fisher. I have often though I must just be too naive. I agree with you. It makes me wonder why I struggled so hard to keep all negatives off my reports the old fashion way.... by paying on time, every month as agreed.

Now, to the original poster. Why not just send in that letter you got again so they can remove it again. YES, you have to start all over. And more than likely you will continue to have to do this again and again. The CA will keep re-inserting it because they want it to be reflected accurately, although they need to report it as a paid charge-off....not un-paid.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I have yet to see anyone on this forum or other get someone to delete with settlement.

10. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

Concerned:

All three CRA's just sent me a new report saying the item was deleted. They did not say it was investigated. I don't know if they did investigate or if they just relied on the letter I sent them from the original creditor.

The CA reports it as a default and also as 90 days late. That was their original report and also their current report. They have not changed. No where have they ever reported it as paid.

I am going to send each CRA a copy of what they sent me and ask them to remove it.

Don't they have procedures in place to prevent this from happening? I can't keep pulling my credit report every month to do battle with them.

I plan on signing up with Privista to get my Equifax report weekly but they requested proof I am me. Hopefully will get that worked out this week or next.