Equifax Scoring Codes

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone.

Thanks to Marci's excellent instructions, I went back and pulled my score from Equifax again. (It changed by a couple of points but I'm not worried about that.) What I'm wondering is about the codes.

If I recall from a previous post, 39 represents serious delinquency. Since I still have that confounded paid chargeoff on there, that's probably the reason 39 was at the top. The other codes were 14, 13 and 18.

Would anyone mind telling me what those three codes indicate? Since I recently opened two new accounts, one of the codes is probably reflective of that. Then there is the issue of my two CapOne cards. The manner in which the balances are listed makes them look maxed out, when they're not. How infuriating!

Thanks for any help. I will greatly appreciate it.

Donna

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Here you go Donna:

Code 39: Serious delinquency
    Code 14: Length of time accounts have been established
    Code 13: Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown
    Code 18: Number of accounts with delinquency

Mom

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Donna,

You and I have the exact same reason codes, but my score is
    significantly lower than yours. What is your revolving balance:limit
    ratio with your score if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks,

Marci

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

ReThanks much!

Mom, Thanks a bunch. I sure appreciate the info. I did look for the codes on the Equifax web site but couldn't find them.

And, Marci, you've been so helpful to all of us here. I'll gladly give you what info I can.

Here's the quick and lazy anser to your question. However, if you want more details, just let me know.

My total revolving credit is just a little over $30,000 and, in looking at my various cards, I owe approximately $6,000. Yeah, that's pretty bad, I know; but that's where I stand. Last summer, we had to take several trips, due to a major illness in our family and the dollars really started adding up. Much of the time, we couldn't get discounted air fares. Anyway, the crisis is over now and I'm working on paying down my balances.

Citi is my highest line of credit. They granted a limit of $18000. But that's one of the cards I don't owe anything on because I transferred the balance to Chase.

My CapOne cards are probably killing me. I owe close to $2500 on one of them. But I'm thinking of transferring that balance over to my Citi card, if I can get a good deal.

Take care and I hope this helps.

Donna

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: ReThanks much!

Okay, that helps. You're at 20% ratio (if the 30,000 limit is reported on
    your credit limit) which is good.

I'm at 38% in reality but reported at 89% on this last report, I think. :-(

The lowest Citi offers on BT without applying directly for the card is 6.9%, or
    so the rep tells me as of last night.

Marci

6. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re:Marci

Thanks. I appreciate that you did the math for me.

The problem, of course, is that you and I both have cards from CapOne...in fact, I have two...and, because of the manner in which the accounts are showing on Equifax, our credit looks maxed out.

Regrettably, CapOne won't budge on the limit-reporting issue so we're stuck. No doubt, this hurts your score and mine.

But there's little we can do. Certainly, you tried and I don't think you could have made a better effort. I questioned one of the reps on the phone and got nowhere.

Canceling the card is our only available option; but, for me, that would result in even greater damage to my score. Since CapOne is my oldest account, I have to keep it.

Maybe I will transfer the balance on both cards to Citi. The interest rate would be lower and the card has plenty of room.

Take care.

Donna

7. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Capital One

da plane ticket, Donna, da plane ticket....

I always wanted to got to Venice - lol!

:)

Seriously, I will buy a refundable ticket this week.

8. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re: Capital One

Good plan, Marci.

Maybe, this weekend, you'll have to dream about going to Venice but some day you'll get there, I'm sure. It must be a splendid place.

Donna