Equifax vs. Ford Credit (2 evils)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MikeG, Jul 12, 2001.

1. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I have been trying to have my Ford Motor credit account reported correctly on my Equifax Report for 4 months. I have tried the online investigations and phone calls. I have provided Equifax with phone numbers to call Ford. Of course, when Equifax called they were told Ford does not verify over the phone. The funny thing is when I checked my report yesterday, it was updated; however it was wrong. The problem is that they have been reporting me as over 90 days late since April and I have not been near late in 3 years. Anyway, the updated my file but left the April 2001 90 day late. My score was 594 in March and dropped to 520 in April. Anyone wanted to know how a late effects your score, here is proof.

So, I went back and forth with Ford and Equifax yesterday. Equifax took a stance that there agreement with Ford requires all verification to be done via email. I stated that I was instructed to provide a phone number last month. Then they changed there story to we can remove that rule if we have a live person to speak to. Ford Credit offered to have verification done within 24 hours via fax. Equifax will not break the agreement with for to verify via email for a Fax machine.

So I spoke to every person I could at both companies threatening law suits. Finally, a gentlemen a Ford Credit agreed to allow me to give his name and extension to Equifax. I call Equifax with the information. They would not take it. So I called back and spoke to someone else and the information was received. Another interesting fact is that I am closing on a refinance of my mortgage tomorrow and included in this is paying off Ford Credit.

Mike G.

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

What a nightmare. Do you have proof of your payments being on time? I have avoided dealing with their dumb reps over the phone by faxing info directly to them which proved what I was saying.

The FCRA says you can provide information to CRA's and they have to accept it (I usually quote it in my fax cover letter). It does extend their investigating time, but it has worked for me in several situations.

Fax machines don't get PMS, or have bad days, LOL

breeze

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Be care ful to make sure Equifax follows through with the phone verification, b/c a month ago I requested a phone verification which the rep agreed to do, but a few weeks later was not notated on my file. It never happened and I was livid.

4. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Could you provide the fax number you used for Equifax. I thought they did not accept information from consumers.

Thanks,

Mike G.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

fax numbers
    EFX = 1-888-345-9399
    TU = 714-447-6032 (CA), 610-546-4605 (PA)
    EXPERIAN = 972-390-3974, 877-454-1010

Those reps do not tell you the truth. Just copy and paste this quote into your letter that you fax to them.

Hope this helps

breeze

6. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Thanks breeze,

I will fax that off today.

Mike G.