ever had card replaced by Citi?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Sep 10, 2003.

1. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

after having it stolen or losing your wallet? I am just reading a horror story over on flyertalk of this guy not getting the right card 2 times and the person that stole his card has already been tried and sentenced and he still hasn't gotten a replacement card, how bad are they at this, if anyone has any experience with it, since they are now my everyday card and would be quite unhappy if this is how they handle all of their card replacements. I have had amex overnight me a replacement card, so I know they are great at it, but curious if this is the way citibank handles all of its card replacements? Thanks

2. thetravele

thetravele Well-Known Member

I had to get a debit card replaced one time. They mentioned that it could take 7-14 days to send the replacement. I said I needed it right away. they overnighted it to me free of charge. I say they are good.

3. poragadu

poragadu Member

I had mine replaced few months back. I think I got it in couple of days.

They suspected of some activity in Singapore on my additional card and called me. My wife used it for phone calls while travelling. They said they see a $75 charge for one call. This never showed up in my bill, but they replaced both the cards immediately.

Regards
    Pora

4. mbelden

mbelden Member

It was about 5 years ago, but I have had one replaced by them. I called and told them it was an emergency (& it was!) and we got a brand new card 2 days later. We were on our way out of town for a funeral and I couldn't find the darn credit card. Turns out I had simply lost my card somewhere in our house and found it many months later when we moved. The man I talked to was very nice, understanding & helpful.

5. zerodown

zerodown Well-Known Member

Feb. this year statement showed activity that wasn't mine. Citi cancelled card, said I would have new one in 7 - 10 days. I needed it for weekend. They told me since it was pretty late in day (Wednesday) they could get it to me on Friday. It showed up next day!
    Can't beat that.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Last week CITIBANK sent me an E-MAIL asking me to call NOW!!!

Somebody tried to use my account to do a CASH ADVANCE (was DENIED)...

They sent a new card...I GOT IT TODAY...7-10 days...OVER-NIGHT IF I WANTED IT!!! Didn't need OVER-NIGHT...

I had my card sitting on the keyboard when I called SECURITY...

I "INFERRED" AN INSIDE JOB...(have not used the card for any purchases all year...ONLY BT'S)...

Incoming or outgoing BT'S may have account number but NO EXPIRE DATE TO USE...

NO CARD WAS "SWIPED" MANUAL KEYED...
    RED FLAG
    HOW COULD A BANK ALLOW IT???
    I DON'T ALLOW IT FOR A $5.00 PURCHASE AT WAL*MART (NO CARD IN HAND--NO SALE)...HOW COULD A BANK DO IT FOR POTENTIALLY $1,000-$20,000???

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

i have mine replaced about once a year, because of use, and i don't like my cards looking fugly.

doesn't take long at all.. :)

8. catnap1972

catnap1972 Well-Known Member

They definitely don't make magnetic stripes like they used to.

9. annie

annie Well-Known Member

What is a number to reach citibank customer service?

10. ef

ef Well-Known Member

800-950-5114

I've memorized that # for the past 10 years.

=============
    I haven't lost my Citi AA card, BUT I did need a replacement card -- CS was very responsive, made the call on Monday and got a new card in the mail by Thursday (regular mail, didn't need overnight). I still have my photo on the card from 10 years ago.

I like their fraud detection system too, email alerts are great (but you must set up in advance).

11. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

GEORGE,

You could call and get a BT by phone if you know the account number and security info, which is often either the last four digits of your SSN or your mother's maiden name.

The last BT I got from AT&T Universal Card, they asked for the 3 digit "check number" on the back of the card. You would need the actual card for that. (I had trouble finding mine, I've only been doing BTs and had squirreled the card away.) But I think Citi was easier, just my mother's maiden name or something. I didn't have to dig out my card, anyway.

So you don't need a card to do BTs. It could be an inside job, or someone could have gotten that info and called it in. However, on a call in I think they only mail it to the credit cards you select to BT to or send the check to the ADDRESS ON RECORD.