Ever use X.com Card to Rent Ca

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Eboni, Apr 30, 2000.

1. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Has anyone ever used an X.com card to rent a car? Did it work out okay? I want to rent a car with Avis at the end of May and was wondering if X.com would work. Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

RE: Ever use X.com Card to Ren

Eboni:

It's a Visa card so I dont see why it wouldn't work, as long as you have enough money in your account and you dont go over your credit limit you should be fine. ;)

Alex.
    ------
    Credit Problems?
    http//www.CreditInsiders.com

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I've used the card to rent from National and Advantage. I had no problems whatsoever. I found it nice to be able to take care of the rental without running up credit card charges or having to wait in line upon return to change the credit card charge to a cash transaction.

While I never did, it would be a good idea to ask the rental agency how much of a floater they're putting on your card. Otherwise, you might find yourself without access to much of the money in your account. Upon return, have them call in and remove the floater.

4. Lorrie

Lorrie Guest

Some banks place limits on the size of the purchase that can be made using a debit card hooked up to a checking account.

I think alot of banks use a $500 limit, so as long as you don't exceed any potential limit x.com has, you should be fine.

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

$500.00 is usually your cash w/d limit. Most banks allow you up to $2000.00 to charge per day on your visa checkcard. I used my x.com card to charge $3200.00 in one purchase and it went through fine.

Lorrie wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Some banks place limits on the size of the purchase that can be made using a debit card hooked up to a checking account.

I think alot of banks use a $500 limit, so as long as you don't exceed any potential limit x.com has, you should be fine.

6. Lorrie

Lorrie Guest

I tried to use my checking account debit card for a $1000 transaction (I had $5000 in the bank), and It would not go through because of the limit.

Also, I sell Princess House, and alot of people pay for the party with a checking account debit card, and there have been alot of problems if the party is over $500.

7. Eric

Eric Guest

I have heard that some rental companies will not allow you to use a debit card for the car rental security.

I can't confirm this, but I read it somewhere.

8. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I ran into the same problem a few months ago when I was having some auto repairs. My bill was for $550, and I had the money in my checking account. Still, the transaction was declined. I immediately called the bank's number on the back of my card, from my cell phone. They told me that debit cards usually start with a $500 limit for purchases; however, it's only an introductory limit, and it should have been upped to $5000 some time back. At any rate, he was able to fix it on the spot, and the transaction went through.

I guess it would depend on your bank.

As far as X.Com goes for car rentals, I'm sure their card's acceptance with car rental agencies has a lot to do with the fact that the card isn't labeled a check card or a debit card. I know both agencies I've rented from have policies against renting with a check or debit card. Nonetheless, it wasn't questioned, they got their money, and I didn't have to run up my credit card bills with the rental.

9. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

You might want to contact x.com. It states, in there terms, $3000.00 POS per day.