Exp Verification Procedure Request?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bizwiz41, Aug 12, 2003.

1. bizwiz41

bizwiz41 Well-Known Member

I need the "veterans" to read between the lines for me!

I received a "response" (I guess!) from Experian today re: a "verified dispute". TU had "changed a CO to "Current"! Both Exp & Eq disutes="remains".

I wrote Exp requesting verification procedure, I received a statement/report which showed my THREE disputes w/language "Previously Investigated"(??).

I did call Exp-the CSR told me it was a "response" to my inquiry, and that the procedure had been "automated verification"

What is "automated verification"w/OC? I beleive I just got a run around! I did send them back their "response" w/ the original letter of request, again requesting DETAILS of how contacted and verified.

Any suggestions or wisdom anyone?!?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

The COMPUTER matched you name and address and possibly your SS# to their records...THAT IS ALL!!! THEY PROVED NOTHING!!! SO WHAT IF THEY MATCHED YOUR INFORMATION!!! They did not send you any statements...receipts...checks...applications...NOTHING!!!

3. merlin

merlin Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the California credit law reads:

". . . A consumer credit reporting agency shall provide. . .

(4) a notice that, if requested by the consumer, a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information shall be provided to the consumer by the consumer credit
    reporting agency, including the name, business address, and telephone number of any furnisher of information contacted in connection with that information . . ."

I believe thast the FCRA is similarly worded (although I would ask someone more versed in the FCRA to chime in).

Not sure how an "automatic verification" fits into this.

4. crowmom

crowmom Well-Known Member

You got back more than I did when I requested verification procedure from Exp. All they sent me was this:

"About our Verification Process:
    When you question information on your personal credit report and tell us specifically why you believe the information is inaccurate or incomplete we contact the source of the information directly by telephone, letter, or through an automated verification system. We ask the source to check their records to verify all of the information regarding the item you questioned, and report back within 30 days of the date that we received your request. Once we receive their response, we will send you the results of the investigation. If we do not receive a response within 30 days, we will update the item as you have requested or delete the information, and send you the results."

There was no reference to the disputed account, no names of people talked to, numbers called, etc. just one page with that paragraph on it.

Notice the part about 'automated verification system'. I had a TL come back on my exp. report 2 years after having it removed. I called the oc and asked them to send a UDF to the bureaus, and she said 'oh, we dont send paperwork to anyone...we use an automated system'....and of course when i explained that it had come back on my exp. report recently, she said 'yea, we have a lot of trouble with exp. taking things off.' I said 'join the club.'

Good idea sending back the piece of crap response you got. Think i'll do that today.

5. cinderella

cinderella Well-Known Member

Well, when I was discussing why they never sent a procedural response within 15 days, a lawyer for EXP explained it to me like this:

"NO HARM......NO FOUL." He went to on further to explain that even if they respond it is basically a form letter.

Yeah, ok. I dare the lawyer to say that to a jury.

EXP creates their own rules and they don't care. The only way they will comply is if people start suing them and they realize it is more expensive to defend these claims than it is to simply COMPLY with the FCRA.

6. bizwiz41

bizwiz41 Well-Known Member

To all respondents...

An "interesting" comment made by the CSR during telephone converstion.....

"Well, we don't actually contact anyone, we just enter it into our sytem, and they reply back through it. So, there really isn't anyone contacted...So there isn't a name or number to give you"

I'm still not sure how this "system" works....but we all should try to find out, then we will find it's weakness!!

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

What is "automated verification"
    bizwiz41
    ============
    Verified wither correct or not.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Verification Procedure Request?

Not sure how an "automatic verification" fits into this.
    merlin
    =============
    Like a 2inch square peg in a one inch round hole.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''