Experian Dispute

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Hal, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I submitted a dispute on Experian for a UCNB account that is NOT mine. Experian generously deleted the account, however, three days after the deletion a collection agency account with "Genesis Financial Solutions" appears for this account.

I am sending a validation letter. Should I send a copy of my credit report or just the page indicating this account.

BTW I am also adding this to the bottom of all my validation letters - I know it doesn't mean much but I get a kick out of adding a similar annoying clause to the one the collectors use.

"This is an attempt to gather evidence for potential legal action for violations of the Fair Credit Reporting and Fair Debt Collections Practices Acts. Any information obtained may be used for that purpose."

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Send your credit report? Why would you want to do that? You don't have to prove anything, they do. I would never send someone a copy of my credit report.

If it isn't yours, you know they can't prove it.

breeze

3. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Thanks Breeze I appreciate it.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I would just send the validation letter, and let them know that they have the wrong person. Maybe they will just delete it without you even telling them to, with that little footnote on the bottom, LOL.

This kind of thing (putting things on people's credit reports when they don't even know it's the right person) is the result of all that damn data being sold all over the place. They just take a shot in the dark!!

Don't give them anything at all. You know they will try to use it against you. They are not looking for the right person, they are looking for someone to pay them the money.

breeze

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

While your statement at the bottom may seem like a fun thing to do, it is a most unwise thing to do indeed.

Here is why

Your main purpose in sending a validation letter is to not get a reply from them at all. A validation of your possible indebtedness is the last thing on earth you actually want although you demand it of them.

While adding a such statement at the bottom of the letter would likely be ignored by most collections personnel as some kind of attempt to be funny, a smart collector might very well be alerted and make absolutely certain that you got what you asked for, that it wass in accordance with all of your demands and that it was delivered to you in a timely manner by certified return receipt requested letter so that he would have built a paper trail to use against you if the need arose at any time.

I'll bet you never stopped to think about how that might just backfire on you, did you?