Experian file virus ;(

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Update your virus protection.

I usually access the internet from a laptop with some virus screening but I don't print from it.

I saved a copy of my report, brought it to our good computer (spouse is a really good computer geek so there's LOTS of virus stuff on it) and I tried to print the file.

A big, green, squirming bug came across the screen and it made me delete the file.

Thank you Experian.

Now before you ask, I don't know what kind of virus it was (I'm not a great geek, unfortunately).

So I'm just posting this to remind you all to update your dat files. We have the latest McAfee stuff on this computer and it caught it.

2. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

stop spreading rumors around. really. I don't think that experian is that stupid or evil for that matter.

ROAFL a "bug" came on the screen and made you delete the file.

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

No really. It's part of the McAfee thing I think.

when a file is infected it lets you know and won't let you open the file.

As a part of their program, it shows you a very ugly, squirming green bug on the screen and gives you options how to deal with the file.

I took the option to delete the file.

Didn't mean to make you think the virus itself was a green bug... it's a virus protection screen that has the bug on it.

I've just never seen an infected file before.

and, by the way, I have as yet to spread a rumor here! But nice idea. maybe I will in the future.

4. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

sorry, I was going to edit that part of it. didn't come out quite right....... I mean, experian is bad sometimes, but do you really think they would do something like this???

Once again, sorry for the harsh words......

And since you saved the file and brought it to another computer it might be that either the disk or your laptop is already infected by another source.

It might really not be experians fault.

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think it's on purpose. Lots of companies get viruses (viruss, viri?).

anyway, the program wouldn't let me open the file at all and it had several options how to deal with the file.

It was a new floppy disk and the Experian file was from 10.3 so now I'm updating my laptop protection, screening this computer, and everything else we have.

Just posted it because whatever it is was caught by McAfee and I know I don't update my dat files often enough on my laptop...

so I am just reminding everyone to update their dat files.

I don't even know if it's from Experian. But it was on my Experian credit file I saved to disk and brought to the good computer to print out...

Anyway, that's as much as I know. Not really even pointing fingers but it's odd that it, so far, is the only infected file.

Maybe I deleted it too quickly. there might have been an option to clean it or to find out at least what it was... oh well, delete looked like the safest option to me.

Regardless, consider this your monthly reminder to update your virus protection.

6. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Okay, I couldn't help but imagine what this virus would do if Experian or a CRA actually created it.
    My thoughts:

he Experian Virus:

Known to infect your computer when you download a copy of your personal credit report. The virus will then do a thorough search of your hard drive and immediately transmit the following information (if found) to every collection agency in Experian's database:

1. All checking and/or savings account information
    listed on your personal computer.
    2. All credit card account numbers located.
    3. All names, addresses, phone numbers, and
    email addresses located to provide the saavy
    collector with a database of people to harass
    until you pay their bill.

The virus is also known to immediately delete any sample letters of the lizardking variety located on your hard drive, as well as copies of any letters you have used to try and validate/verify accounts, thus preventing you from proving the text of the letters sent.

If the virus finds you have websites such as www.creditnet.com in your browser favorite or history folders it will redirect these webaddresses to http://www.wearecollectors.com.

No known cure is currently available for this virus!

7. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Hal,

rotflol! It certainly seems that way sometimes. :)

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hal, that is hilarious!!!

Marie - it's viri.

The rest of you - yes, McAfee has a little bug that crawls around on the screen when a file is infected.
    It will tell you what it is.

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Marie,

Better disinfect your notebook puter.

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Yes, well, I would. I loaded the new dat files and was going to disinfect and the screen now goes completely blank.

reboot, same thing.

guess the significant other will have to look at if for me.

good thing we have several notebooks and a mother of a desktop :)

11. mj

mj Well-Known Member

YOU saved the file YOU infected it.

Marie-

Viruses can't really spread like you described - when you saved the file (as what, htm or doc?) your computer saved a virus that you were already infected with into the file.

My best guess is your computer is infected. We use McAfee at work and when I bring stuff home my Norton (NAV) catches stuff that McAfee seems to have missed.

Good luck (computer viruses are a PAIN IN THE #)(*(#@... you have my total sympathy!)

-mj

12. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

Re: YOU saved the file YOU infected it.

Thats what I was trying to say also. But I didn't have your flair with words. I should think before I write lol.

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Marie!!

I don't think you can transfer the .dat files that way. Often there are other changes besides just the .dat files.

If your notebook will work, you can log on and go to http://www.pcpitstop.com click on "anti virus" and they will clean and fix you up for free. Then you can run McAfee and update your .dat files (and your scan engine, LOL).

14. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: Marie!!

Good news. The computer screen is completely unrelated. It's a Sony Vaio and it's had a repair for a funny screen. It's a known issue. It'll go back for repair again.. ugh.

Sig other hit the back of the screen and it works. So now we're disinfecting with the latest stuff. Seems to work ok so I'll try several different programs to check all the computers.

I love having such useful people in my life :)

funny thing is, I only use this computer for internet stuff. I have different computers for different things so a meltdown that's internet related really doesn't affect me much... all my good files are on a computer that stays off the internet.

I've seen full-scale meltdowns. you're right, they suck.

Still, it's odd that the file had a virus. I realized the computer that goes online had McAfee but I'd never updated the files. duh.

15. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

why would only 1 file be infected?

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Glad everything works okay. Some of the viruses out there can demolish your hard drive. Some of them steal passwords and transmit them back to a server somewhere. I am not a virus expert, LOL, but I have McAfee, and they have updated the scan engine twice in the last few months.

Someone keeps sending me that stupid email worm - I think it's coming from someone on one of the credit boards - it isn't anyone I know, so they wouldn't have my email address in their address book.

I have a Vaio, but it's a desktop. My notebook is a ThinkPad.

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

GET THE BUG SPRAY OUT...OR JUST "FLICK" IT OFF YOUR SCREEN WITH YOUR FINGER...

:)