Experian...I hate them

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Madelyn, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Madelyn

Madelyn Guest

I posted this a week or so ago:

"I am pretty much at the end of my rope with Experian. I disputed a few items on my credit report and received a response from them. I was not happy with the response and strongly felt that they just "faked" an investigation. I was able to confirm this by calling the creditors who supposedly "verified" my disputed items. I then sent Experian another dispute letter. The green certified mail receipt that I received back stated that they received my letter on June 29. I sent another letter and just received the green card yesterday. Now what? I can't wait any more, I need this stuff FIXED. Help!"

I just got off the phone with Experian. I spoke to the dumbest guy in the world I am sure of it. Well, basically he told me that they "lost" my original letter and that they would have a response to me within thirty days of my SECOND letter. So much for the FCRA. I am going to call again tomorrow and see if I can get someone more intelligent and see if they can get it through any faster. Any suggestions?

2. Michelle

Michelle Guest

I used to work for a collections attorney. We collected for credit cards. I never heard of anyone losing a piece of certified mail. That is why you pay the extra fees for certified mail and return receipt. I strongly advise you also send a letter to the original owner of the paper. If you dispute anything and they have no proof of debt, it must be deleted. It is against all laws and I would contact the FDCPA and Better Business Bureau regarding their unprofessional manner of dealing with your account. I had stuff removed before but Experian was the tough one that I can remember. Good Luck, your rights have been violated...get it straightened out. Also, get proof from the original lendor that the debt is paid or invalid or whatever. Threaten getting an attorney and contacting the FDCPA, you may ruffle a few feathers.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

While helping my daughter clean up her credit reports, I too found Experian to be the toughest one to deal with, even though I sent all disputes by certified mail. I found them to be much easier to do business with by phone, and I was able to get better results.

Surprisingly, I found their phone reps to be pleasant and most helpful each time I called. I wish that had been the case with Trans Union. When I worked for a Trans Union affiliate, I always dreaded having to call them for anything. I always got some idiotic numb-nuts on the phone!

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

I Hate Them Too

Thanks to all of you for the information. I hate Experian too, and haven't even begun to clear up their report on me (in no sense is it "my" report.)

I had an idea that could help get rid of Experian if we all worked together. If we called the Experian "opt-out" number and asked not to get any pre-selected, pre-qualified, pre-approved, etc. offers based on their reports, we would only get offers from honest creditors who use the other two agencies. After a while, the toadies who use Experian would find their market share declining, and might end up asking themselves what good Experian ever did for them. After all, phony reports inhibit their efforts to offer credit to ALL qualified individuals. Just an idea, but it could help keep the creeps at Experian out of our lives.

5. Madelyn

Madelyn Guest

The guy that I spoke to last night was honestly as dumb as a box of rocks. He obvioulsy didn't really care about helping me(not that I really expected him to, but I would think he would at least ACT interested.) I think that I will call again and hopefully I will get someone better. I probably wouldn't be so upset with them if I didn't think that they faked their initial "investigation."

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

That's probably your best bet. With some reps, it seems like you're talking to a machine reading a script, and they damned sure have no interest in helping you. When you get such a goon as this(the monotone voice is a clue)on the phone, your best bet is to end the call by telling them that an emergency has popped up, and that you'll call back later. Hopefully, the next time, you'll get someone with an actual personality.