Experian only includes AU accounts if payment history helps credit scores

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JoshuaHeckathorn, Jul 24, 2012.

1. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Has anyone else heard this before?

I recently read a quote from Rod Griffin, the public education director at Experian, that they will remove AU accounts from the AU's credit report if any negative history is reported. Great news for authorized users obviously, but I'm surprised I've never heard about it before. Equifax and TransUnion don't do this.

If anyone has experienced this on their own credit reports, I would love to hear about it.

2. Heather L

Heather L Well-Known Member

I am very interested in learning more on about Experian removing AU accounts if something negative reports on the account. Did you find this information on the Experian News Blog? I was looking for information about this and didn't see anything on the blog. Thanks! Heather with BoostMyScore.NET

3. JoshuaHeckathorn

I read it in an article on Bankrate.com. I'll search for the article later today to see if I can find it again. Apparently it's nothing new, so I don't know why I haven't heard about it before.

4. Heather L

Heather L Well-Known Member

I haven't heard about this either. That is interesting that Experian has been doing this for a while. I will also look for the article on bankrate.com. Thank you! Heather with BoostMyScore.NET

5. JoshuaHeckathorn

6. Ellijeets

Ellijeets Member

Oh, how this information would have been useful about 14 years ago, when I married my (now ex) husband. I had good credit, and signed off to let him be an AU. Silly me, had no idea that it wasn't a joint card. So, take a guess what happened when we got divorced, and I was trying very hard (and wasting tons of $ in legal fees) to get him to pony up on the debt? I didn't have a leg to stand on. The CC copanies told me this, and I was like WTF??? They said even with the divorce agreement (stating he is responsible for half the marital debt) they are under no obligation to go after him.

I've been separated for 7 years, legally divorced for 4 years, and remarried for 1 year. It's great to know that my struggles since the separation have basically had no effect on his credit score. I always rested a bit easier in knowing (or believing) that as long as my score was low, so was his. Oh well...

And, thanks to him, I think twice about all financial/credit decisions I make with my new husband.