Experian score question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sl1029, Jun 11, 2001.

1. sl1029

sl1029 Well-Known Member

After seeing here that Experian scores were available I took a look at mine. Surprise, surprise, the report was absolutely correct! :) However, my score was lower than I expected....when I checked out the simulator, the part where they value your payment history, the "my value" indicated 2 or more 90+ late payments.

The credit report shows only (2) 30 days late. (this is correct).

So it looks like the credit score model is using 90+ days late - and when I simulate the correct information, my score jumps by 60 points.

Has anyone else noticed this and try to get it resolved?

2. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

If you got your score from Credit Expert, don't be fooled. This IS NOT your FICO score.

3. sl1029

sl1029 Well-Known Member

I don't think I implied that I believed it *was* my FICO score...my concern is that creditors who are using experian's score are seeing a score calculated on 90+ late payments. It's the Garbage In-Garbage Out concept. Whether its FICO or not doesn't really matter.

4. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Where is the simulator?

5. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

Actually, to many it does. Since, in my situation, it was 40-some points higher than my actual FICO, I felt it necessary to let people who read this thread know that it isn't the FICO.

I feel this way because the website doesn't make it clear and there will be, I'm sure, people who use this board who think they have a better FICO than they really do. Based on this misinformation, some may incorrectly think they're ready to apply for a mortgage, credit card, loan, etc.

My post was mainly a general statement, not directed mainly at you.

Regards,

Tom

6. sl1029

sl1029 Well-Known Member

Tom - Ok, point taken. Sorry for getting "testy" - sometimes I forget that non-responsive replies can be instructive for others drawn to read a particular post for reasons of their own.

Greg - you have to actually sign up for the service, the simulator is one of hte tools that they make available.

FYI - to anyone interested in this topic. I called and while I got through quickly to a pleasant CSR, her best answer was that it "didn't matter" because the score is derived directly from the information showing on my credit report and there were no 90+ lates on the credit report.

Why then are all the other pre-filled fields on the simulator 100% correlated with the info on the credit report? She didn't know, was going to forward my inquiry to the supervisor.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT...

Somebody said that there are people hired to enter the "GARBAGE" into the computer...they have an enormous stack of papers in their in box that must be in their out box by the end of the day...and get paid like $7.00/hour...

8. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I just had a tri-merge pulled today for a mortgage.
    My Experian (Fair Isaac Score) on the tri-merge was 656, on the creditexpert site (right now) its a 655, it also says it went down 2 points since 6/8. I can assume that's from the hard inquiry today, one other hard inquiry showing (so the second one is worth 2pts?).